3-Year-Old Dies After House Fire In Lind - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: 3-Year-Old Dies After House Fire In Lind

Posted: Updated:

UPDATED PRESS RELEASE FROM THE ADAMS COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE: On February 20th 2013 at about 1840 hours the Adams County Sheriff's Office responded to a house fire on 2nd Street in Lind. Deputy Buriak was across the street and was first on scene. He was  advised by the parents that there was still a child in the house. He made several attempts to get to the child but because of the heat and smoke he was unable to get to her.  A short time later the Lind Fire Department arrived on scene and with the assistance of two firefighters they were able to get to the small child, and remove her from the house.

The child had severe burns over a large portion of her body and was transported to the Ritzville Hospital, then to Sacred Heart Medical Center and eventually to Harborview Medical Center, where the 3 year old female was pronounced deceased at 0556 hours on 2/21/2013. An autopsy was conducted on 2/22/2013 those results are pending.

Through investigation it was learned that the child had been put in the parent's upstairs bedroom to take a nap. Sometime later the father who was downstairs in the kitchen cooking dinner, smelled smoke, went out to the living room to check the fireplace, but did not see anything out of place and went back into the kitchen.

A short time later he again smelled smoke, left the kitchen and at this time found that the upstairs of the house was on fire and yelled at everyone to get out of the house. The victim's mother attempted to get the child, but because of the heat and smoke, was unable to reach her. She sustained burns to her face and hands.

It has also been learned that in the bedroom where the child was sleeping was a lit candle that was placed on a dresser. The candle is believed to be the source of ignition, surrounding the candle was a box of disposable diapers and clothing. Further inspection revealed that there were no smoke detectors in the house.

PREVIOUS STORY:

LIND, Wash. - A 3-year-old child has died in a house fire. The fire happened on 2nd St. in Lind, Wash. on Wednesday at 6:40pm. Adams County Deputy Buriak was across the street and was first on scene when it happened. Buriak was advised by the parents that there was a child in the house. He made several attempts to get to the child but because of the heat and smoke he was unable to get to her.

A short time later the Lind Fire Dept. arrived on scene and with the assistance of two firefighters they were able to get the small child out of the home. The child had severe burns over a large portion over her body. She was transported to the Ritzviille Hospital, then to Sacred Heart Medical Center and eventually to Harborview Medical Center where she was later pronounced dead. An autopsy is scheduled for Friday.

 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Mad Minute stories from Friday, May 26th

    Mad Minute stories from Friday, May 26th

    Saturday, May 27 2017 2:00 AM EDT2017-05-27 06:00:13 GMT

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Friday, May 26th.

    More >>

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Friday, May 26th.

    More >>
  • Attention shoppers: woman's warning after drive-by purse snatching

    Attention shoppers: woman's warning after drive-by purse snatching

    Saturday, May 27 2017 1:34 AM EDT2017-05-27 05:34:51 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane woman says she was the latest victim in what seems to be a new trend for thieves: drive-by purse snatching.   Alice Galeotti says she left her purse in her shopping cart while she was loading up her car. She got distracted and that's when the thieves decided to strike. "It's very disheartening that you can't even shop in broad daylight and not have your entire life disrupted by thieves," said Galeotti. She was 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane woman says she was the latest victim in what seems to be a new trend for thieves: drive-by purse snatching.   Alice Galeotti says she left her purse in her shopping cart while she was loading up her car. She got distracted and that's when the thieves decided to strike. "It's very disheartening that you can't even shop in broad daylight and not have your entire life disrupted by thieves," said Galeotti. She was 

    More >>
  • $10,000 bill for getting car stuck in newly poured concrete

    $10,000 bill for getting car stuck in newly poured concrete

    Saturday, May 27 2017 1:02 AM EDT2017-05-27 05:02:32 GMT
    (Mike Palm, The City of Lincoln Public Works and Utilities Department via AP)(Mike Palm, The City of Lincoln Public Works and Utilities Department via AP)

    LINCOLN, Neb,. (AP) - A driver could be facing a $10,000 bill after he plowed into newly poured concrete in Lincoln, Nebraska, and became stuck.      The accident occurred Wednesday on a portion of a road repair project in the state capital. Police spokeswoman Angela Sands said Friday that police won't cite the driver, 19-year-old Shadrach Yasiah. A police incident report says it wasn't obvious that the concrete wasn't dry and that Yasiah 

    More >>

    LINCOLN, Neb,. (AP) - A driver could be facing a $10,000 bill after he plowed into newly poured concrete in Lincoln, Nebraska, and became stuck.      The accident occurred Wednesday on a portion of a road repair project in the state capital. Police spokeswoman Angela Sands said Friday that police won't cite the driver, 19-year-old Shadrach Yasiah. A police incident report says it wasn't obvious that the concrete wasn't dry and that Yasiah 

    More >>