Six Single Shell Tanks on Hanford Site Confirmed to be Leaking
RICHLAND, Wash. - Governor Jay Inslee made an announcement Friday after meeting with Energy Secretary Steven Chu. There are now six confirmed leaking single shell tanks on the Hanford site.
Secretary Chu told Inslee these leaks have been overlooked in the past because of an evaluation system that was not used properly.
Inslee said an additional evaluation will be done in the coming days and Secretary Chu will be personally involved. He's already ordered the installation of additional monitoring systems.
These single shell tanks were originally built after World War II and are well past their 20-year life span.
Inslee did stress that there is no immediate threat to public safety.
One or two of them are in different farms than T-111 that was previously disclosed as leaking. The amount of the leakage varies from tank to tank, although they are certainly levels that should cause concern and demand action," Inslee said.
State and federal officials are now discussing what action should be taken next. Inslee said getting the radioactive waste out of the leaking tanks needs to be done but the problem is where to put it.
The governor said getting that done quickly is a top priority but no details on that will be released until next week.