Child Luring Reports Have School Districts On High Alert - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Child Luring Reports Have School Districts On High Alert

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, Wash. - Several school districts in the area are taking measures to keep students safe and alert parents of recent child luring and suspicious incidents.

The Central Valley School District says that lately it seems like it has had more reports of suspicious persons following students home than usual. 

"Just in the last three or four weeks there have been four cases that we can think of that have happened, so it does feel like it's picking up," said Central Valley School District Public Information Officer Melanie Rose.

In some cases, students report being followed home. While in others, kids have reported someone pulling up next to them in a car and asking if they need a ride home.

The most recent incident in the Central Valley School District happened February 28th, near Progress Elementary along Adams, north of Broadway.

Two fifth grade girls and one first grader were walking home after school around 3:00 p.m. when they noticed an older, bearded man in a white car following them. The students said the car followed them slowly and stayed with them as they walked down the street. The girls were able to cut through a backyard and make it home, but say the car parked in front of their house for about ten minutes before leaving.

The school district says at least three other similar incidents were also reported by students within the last several weeks. Each time it happens a letter is sent home to notify parents and give suggestions on how to keep their kids safe.  

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Well-known dine and dasher targets Spokane restaurants

    Well-known dine and dasher targets Spokane restaurants

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 2:25 AM EDT2017-08-23 06:25:12 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane restaurant owners say they're frustrated that a well-known dine and dasher who was arrested earlier this year for the same thing is once again back at it. Jason Ferraro, the owner of Ferraro's on north Division, says his restaurant was the latest victim in a string of eat and runs. Last week he says a woman came into his restaurant and took off without paying.

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane restaurant owners say they're frustrated that a well-known dine and dasher who was arrested earlier this year for the same thing is once again back at it. Jason Ferraro, the owner of Ferraro's on north Division, says his restaurant was the latest victim in a string of eat and runs. Last week he says a woman came into his restaurant and took off without paying.

    More >>
  • Mad Minute stories from Tuesday, August 22nd

    Mad Minute stories from Tuesday, August 22nd

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 2:00 AM EDT2017-08-23 06:00:08 GMT
    Mad Minute for 12/30/16Mad Minute for 12/30/16

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Tuesday, August 22nd.

    More >>

    Here are the extended versions of the KHQ Local News 11 at 11 Mad Minute stories from Tuesday, August 22nd.

    More >>
  • US officials: Navy 7th Fleet commander to be removed

    US officials: Navy 7th Fleet commander to be removed

    Wednesday, August 23 2017 1:35 AM EDT2017-08-23 05:35:54 GMT

    TOKYO (AP) - U.S. officials confirm the commander of the Navy's 7th Fleet will be removed after a series of warship accidents in the Pacific. One official said Wednesday that Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin was being removed due to the leadership's loss of confidence in his ability to command. The two officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the decision.

    More >>

    TOKYO (AP) - U.S. officials confirm the commander of the Navy's 7th Fleet will be removed after a series of warship accidents in the Pacific. One official said Wednesday that Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin was being removed due to the leadership's loss of confidence in his ability to command. The two officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the decision.

    More >>