Female Transgender MMA Fighter Being Investigated - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Female Transgender MMA Fighter Being Investigated

Posted: Updated:
Lights shine on a chain link fence before a fight; Photo courtesy USA Today Lights shine on a chain link fence before a fight; Photo courtesy USA Today

USATODAY.COM - A female transgender mixed martial arts fighter is now under investigation by the Florida State Boxing Commission.

"Our department is currently investigating allegations pertaining to the information provided on the application," said a spokesperson for the commission, which licensed Fallon Fox to fight as a woman.

SI.com reported that the 37-year-old Fox underwent gender reassignment surgery in 2006 along with the supplemental hormonal therapy.

On Saturday, Fox knocked out a woman in 39 seconds at a fight in Coral Cables, Fla. As an amateur and professional, Fox holds an undefeated 5-0 record with all five wins coming in the first round.

On her license application for the bout, which was obtained by MMAjunkie.com, Fox said she had been licensed by the California State Athletic Commission, which likely helped procure a license in Florida. The California commission, however, said Fox's license, which was submitted in February and included medical documentation, was under review and not approved.

The FSBC confirmed that Fox received a pregnancy test per commission rules, but was not drug tested.

CSAC Executive Director Andy Foster said the commission was in the process of changing its forms to eliminate confusion over a receipt (which reflects a $60 licensing fee) that he believes was interpreted by Fallon as a license.

Fox told MMAjunkie.com that she didn't knowingly misrepresent herself to the Florida commission and thought she had been approved by California.

In the meantime, Fox's next bout, which was scheduled for April 20 as part of a semifinal bout in an eight-women tournament at 145 pounds, is on hold as her promoter, Cage Fighting Alliance, has canceled the event in a show of support.

"We stand 120,000 percent behind Fallon," CFA CEO Jorge De La Nova said. "She's a female. She's a very sweet girl. There's a lot of money on the line for her, and she's performed very well. We're going to give her a couple of weeks to see how this thing turns out."

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Hamas agrees to 24-hour holiday truce in Gaza war

    Hamas agrees to 24-hour holiday truce in Gaza war

    Sunday, July 27 2014 10:36 AM EDT2014-07-27 14:36:04 GMT
    GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas says it has agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in the Gaza war ahead of a major Muslim holiday. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the truce would go into effect at 2 p.m. Sunday. The three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, which caps the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, is expected to begin Monday or Tuesday, depending on the sighting of the new moon.More >>
    GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas says it has agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in the Gaza war ahead of a major Muslim holiday. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the truce would go into effect at 2 p.m. Sunday. The three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, which caps the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, is expected to begin Monday or Tuesday, depending on the sighting of the new moon.More >>
  • Dutch: 1st victim identified from Flight 17

    Dutch: 1st victim identified from Flight 17

    Saturday, July 26 2014 5:55 PM EDT2014-07-26 21:55:02 GMT
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The Dutch government says the first victim has been identified from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster.The name and sex of the victim, a Dutch national, weren't released. The government said Saturday the next of kin and mayor of the victim's hometown have been informed.More >>
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The Dutch government says the first victim has been identified from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster.The name and sex of the victim, a Dutch national, weren't released. The government said Saturday the next of kin and mayor of the victim's hometown have been informed.More >>
  • 3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce

    3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce

    Saturday, July 26 2014 5:19 PM EDT2014-07-26 21:19:11 GMT
    JERUSALEM (AP) - The Israeli military says three rockets have been fired from Gaza at Israel despite a proposed extension of a humanitarian truce in the Gaza war.Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group rejected Israel's proposal to extend an original 12-hour lull by four hours, until midnight Saturday.More >>
    JERUSALEM (AP) - The Israeli military says three rockets have been fired from Gaza at Israel despite a proposed extension of a humanitarian truce in the Gaza war.Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group rejected Israel's proposal to extend an original 12-hour lull by four hours, until midnight Saturday.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.