Space Heater Starts Fire at Home on Logan Avenue - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Space Heater Starts Fire at Home on Logan Avenue

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash.-- Yakima Firefighters think a space heater started a blaze in a home on Logan Avenue and 10th Avenue today.

Crews responded to the scene around 10:30 am.

A truck was already near the area of the fire, so they got to the scene quickly.

After checking to see that no one was inside the house, they made an attack on the fire.

They say it only took them about 20 minutes to put out the blaze.

The homeowner was not home at the time, but three cats were killed in the flames.

The fire department says the owner likely left a space heater too close to a couch.

"Electric heaters, they put out a tremendous amount of heat and when they are placed too close to combustibles they can start them on fire and that appears to be what the cause is on this fire," says Yakima Battalion Chief Jennifer Norton.

The firefighters say space heaters are a common cause of house fires.

They advise if you do have a space heater in your home, you need to make sure it's located several feet away from any flammable materials.

Also, make sure it's the type that will shut off if it's knocked over.

They also say it's a good idea to have smoke detectors in the home, and make sure they are working.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/