YAKIMA, Wash.-- A fire late Thursday night in Yakima caused extensive damage to a duplex on 15th Avenue.
Fire fighters responded just after 10 pm.
Crews had to deal with both flames in the structure and in the attic.
They identified the cause was two young boys playing with a lighter.
Firefighters say kids playing with matches or lighters are one of the most common reasons a fire starts.
"The best thing that we can do is... as adults... Is to keep matches and lighters out of their reach, either in your pocket, not in your purse because they'll get in your purse, but in your pocket or in a locked cabinet," says Yakima Battalion Chief Jennifer Norton.
They say after incidents like this, they talk to the kids about fire safety.
They say parents can also schedule time with a fire fighter to talk to their kids.
If you'd like to do that you can call your local fire department.