Newtown Residents Upset About NRA Robocalls - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Newtown Residents Upset About NRA Robocalls

Posted: Updated:

NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) - Some residents in Newtown, Conn., say they're outraged at receiving robocalls from the National Rifle Association only three months after the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings.
    
Town residents say the automated calls from the NRA began last week and urge people to tell their state legislators to oppose gun control proposals. Lawmakers are debating whether to ban military-style assault weapons, prohibit high-capacity ammunition magazines and other measures in response to the school shootings.
    
Dan O'Donnell lives in the Sandy Hook section of Newtown and told WVIT-TV that the robocalls are "ridiculous and insensitive."
    
Messages seeking comment were left with the NRA, which like other nonprofit groups is allowed to make robocalls under federal law.
    
A gunman killed 20 first-graders, six educators and himself in December after shooting his mother to death.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Teen Suspended For Asking Miss America To Prom

    Teen Suspended For Asking Miss America To Prom

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:34:48 GMT
    YORK, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania high school student is in hot water for asking Miss America to prom during a question and answer session at school. Eighteen-year-old Patrick Farves said he received three days of in-school suspension Thursday because he asked Nina Davuluri to prom.
    More >>
    YORK, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania high school student is in hot water for asking Miss America to prom during a question and answer session at school. Eighteen-year-old Patrick Farves said he received three days of in-school suspension Thursday because he asked Nina Davuluri to prom.

    More >>
  • South Korean Ferry Captain Arrested As Hundreds Are Missing And Feared Dead

    South Korean Ferry Captain Arrested As Hundreds Are Missing And Feared Dead

    Friday, April 18 2014 4:38 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:38:53 GMT
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested. Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday. The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.More >>
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested. Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday. The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.
    More >>
  • WATCH: Cell Phone Video Of Sinking Ferry Released As 270 Are Still Missing

    WATCH: Cell Phone Video Of Sinking Ferry Released As 270 Are Still Missing

    Friday, April 18 2014 4:21 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:21:35 GMT
    MOKPO, South Korea (AP) - Searchers have now put markers on the surface of the water where the South Korean ferry went down. Part of the ship had remained above the surface until today, but now the entire vessel is submerged. They're continuing the effort to find some 270 people who are missing and feared dead.More >>
    MOKPO, South Korea (AP) - Searchers have now put markers on the surface of the water where the South Korean ferry went down. Part of the ship had remained above the surface until today, but now the entire vessel is submerged. They're continuing the effort to find some 270 people who are missing and feared dead.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.