Holmes Trial To Be Delayed Because Of Death Penalty - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Holmes Trial To Be Delayed Because Of Prosecutors' Decision To Seek Death Penalty

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE:

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) - Now that prosecutors have decided to seek the death penalty against James Holmes, the trial of the man accused in last year's movie theater attack in Colorado will be delayed -- at least until February.
    
And the judge in the case acknowledged today that even that much of a delay might not allow enough time for all sides to prepare.
    
Holmes had been scheduled to go to trial in August in the attack that killed 12 people and injured 70 others.
    
There was no audible reaction from him today when the prosecutor announced the decision to pursue the death penalty. Holmes' parents sat side by side in the gallery, clutching hands. They were also quiet, as were the victims and their loved ones who were in the courtroom when the decision was announced.
    
One man whose best friend was killed in the attack says he had a "huge adrenaline rush" when he heard that Holmes might face death. Bryan Beard said, "I hope I'm in the room when he dies."
    
Last week, prosecutors said they had rejected an offer from Holmes' attorney to have him plead guilty and serve life in prison.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

CENTENNIAL, Colo. (AP) - Prosecutors want James Holmes executed for last year's attack on an Aurora movie theater.
    
They announced their intention to seek the death penalty against Holmes in court on Monday.
    
Last week prosecutors said they rejected an offer from Holmes' attorney to have him plead guilty to avoid the death penalty. Prosecutors said the offer to have Holmes spend life in prison wasn't a serious attempt at plea bargaining.
    
Holmes is charged with multiple counts of murder and attempted murder for the July 20 assault on a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises" that killed 12 people and injured 70. His attorneys are expected to argue that he was legally insane at the time of the shooting.
    
A judge entered a not guilty plea on Holmes' behalf last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • South Korean Ferry Captain Arrested As Hundreds Are Missing And Feared Dead

    South Korean Ferry Captain Arrested As Hundreds Are Missing And Feared Dead

    Friday, April 18 2014 4:38 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:38:53 GMT
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested. Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday. The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.More >>
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested. Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday. The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.
    More >>
  • Gruesome Murder Trial Continues In Spokane; Alex Rozier Reports

    Gruesome Murder Trial Continues In Spokane; Alex Rozier Reports

    Friday, April 18 2014 4:27 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:27:30 GMT
    SPOKANE, WA. – The murder trial for suspected killer Daniel Arteaga continued at the Spokane County Courthouse on Thursday as one of the lead investigators took the stand discussing evidence found the night of Kim Schmidt’s death. Arteaga is on trial for the murder of Schmidt, a 34 year old mother he dated for more than 6 years.More >>
    SPOKANE, WA. – The murder trial for suspected killer Daniel Arteaga continued at the Spokane County Courthouse on Thursday as one of the lead investigators took the stand discussing evidence found the night of Kim Schmidt’s death. Arteaga is on trial for the murder of Schmidt, a 34 year old mother he dated for more than 6 years.More >>
  • WATCH: Cell Phone Video Of Sinking Ferry Released As 270 Are Still Missing

    WATCH: Cell Phone Video Of Sinking Ferry Released As 270 Are Still Missing

    Friday, April 18 2014 4:21 PM EDT2014-04-18 20:21:35 GMT
    MOKPO, South Korea (AP) - Searchers have now put markers on the surface of the water where the South Korean ferry went down. Part of the ship had remained above the surface until today, but now the entire vessel is submerged. They're continuing the effort to find some 270 people who are missing and feared dead.More >>
    MOKPO, South Korea (AP) - Searchers have now put markers on the surface of the water where the South Korean ferry went down. Part of the ship had remained above the surface until today, but now the entire vessel is submerged. They're continuing the effort to find some 270 people who are missing and feared dead.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.