KENNEWICK, Wash. - A fire left 12 people without a home late last summer when it burned through a fourplex in Kennewick. The worst part was the units were used for transitional housing.
The complex is used for clients of both Domestic Violence Services of Benton and Franklin Counties and Elijah Family Homes. Two of the units were completely destroyed by the flames and the other two units were badly damaged by smoke.
The tough thing about this story was the people living in the complex last summer were just putting their lives back together. When the fire happened, which investigators said started from a lit cigarette, they lost everything... again.
"Every dollar that came in related to this was just so helpful. Immediately to get these families into new situations, replenish not just the necessities," said Domestic Violence Services Executive Director Dan Aspiri.
Aspiri has a long list of thank you's and said the community's support was astounding. Food clothing and furniture was donated in force and the kids even got things like their ipods and skateboards replaced.