Crews Find Bodies Of 2 NC Children Trapped In Dirt - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Crews Find Bodies Of 2 NC Children Trapped In Dirt

Posted: Updated:

STANLEY, N.C. (AP) - Authorities have recovered the bodies of two children who were trapped when a wall of dirt fell on them while playing in a hole at a home construction site in North Carolina.
    
Lincoln County Emergency Services spokesman Dion Burleson say the bodies of a 6-year-old girl and 7-year-old boy were pulled Monday from a 24-foot-deep pit in the town of Stanley, outside of Charlotte.
    
Crews had been searching for the children since Sunday afternoon, when one of their fathers called 911 to report the collapse. Officials were on the scene within minutes but couldn't get to the children.
    
Neighbors have said a man building the home had been digging with a backhoe earlier in the day.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • General Mills to bring back old Trix with artificial colors after customer complaints

    Friday, September 22 2017 11:41 AM EDT2017-09-22 15:41:57 GMT

    NEW YORK - Trix is back to its old tricks: The colorful cereal will once again be made with artificial dyes and flavors, nearly two years after they were banished from the cereal. General Mills, which makes Trix, says customers asked for the old formula to come back.

    More >>

    NEW YORK - Trix is back to its old tricks: The colorful cereal will once again be made with artificial dyes and flavors, nearly two years after they were banished from the cereal. General Mills, which makes Trix, says customers asked for the old formula to come back. The Minneapolis-based company had made the changes in 2016 to try and appeal to parents who were increasingly concerned about what ingredients were in their food. 

    More >>
  • Ex-Mafia Hit Man ‘Sammy the Bull’ Gravano Released From Federal Prison

    Ex-Mafia Hit Man ‘Sammy the Bull’ Gravano Released From Federal Prison

    Friday, September 22 2017 9:06 AM EDT2017-09-22 13:06:55 GMT

    PHOENIX — Former Mafia hit man Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano has been released early from federal prison after serving most of a 20-year sentence for drug-related convictions in Arizona and New York, his attorney said Thursday. Thomas Farinella said his 72-year-old client was released Monday, but wouldn't disclose where Gravano served his time or where he plans to live now that he's a free man.

    More >>

    PHOENIX — Former Mafia hit man Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano has been released early from federal prison after serving most of a 20-year sentence for drug-related convictions in Arizona and New York, his attorney said Thursday. Thomas Farinella said his 72-year-old client was released Monday, but wouldn't disclose where Gravano served his time or where he plans to live now that he's a free man.

    More >>
  • Coeur d’Alene armed robbery suspect arrested thanks to tips from citizens

    Friday, September 22 2017 7:55 AM EDT2017-09-22 11:55:36 GMT

    UPDATE: Detectives with the Coeur d’Alene Police Department were able to identify and arrest Christopher N Guinasso for the armed robbery at Jordan’s Grocery on September 20, 2017. Guinasso is a 20 year old male from Coeur d’Alene. He was booked into the Kootenai County Jail for one count of Robbery.

    More >>

    UPDATE: Detectives with the Coeur d’Alene Police Department were able to identify and arrest Christopher N Guinasso for the armed robbery at Jordan’s Grocery on September 20, 2017. Guinasso is a 20 year old male from Coeur d’Alene. He was booked into the Kootenai County Jail for one count of Robbery.

    More >>