Post Falls City Council Considers Ban On Street Fundraising - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Post Falls City Council Considers Ban On Street Fundraising

Posted: Updated:

 

POST FALLS, ID-  Several months ago Spokane banned panhandling at certain intersections throughout the city. Now, Post Falls may do the same. City Council is considering a ban that would eliminate fundraisers like "Fill the Boot," where off duty firefighters man street corners and solicit for donations. 

One particular nonprofit organization that will be affected is the local chapter of Muscular Dystrophy Association, which works with North Idaho fire departments across the state to raise money. Jennifer Ross began the local fundraiser in 1992 after her husband was diagnosed with the illness. She said losing the fundraiser would be devastating to the chapter, and could have several ripple affects. 

"It will be detrimental to the program. We have kids that come from four states to a summer camp once a year up in Rathdrum. It's the only camp in the whole northwest that is handicapped accessible for those children. The money raised from Fill the Boot is what provides for this children for that camp. It could go away," she told KHQ Local News.

City Councilors are considering that some motorists simply don't want anyone coming up to their car asking for money, even if it is for a good cause. Post Falls Police Chief Scot Haug told KHQ there are too many local nonprofits asking for permission to raise money on the streets, and it's hard to decide where to draw the line on who is allowed and who isn't. 

He added soliciting vehicles could affect public safety. There are no reported injuries or deaths related to these fundraisers, but he said that doesn't mean they can't happen. Ross contrasted that, saying Fill the Boot always took public safety concerns with high importance. 

"They're real safe about it. No one under 18 can go out there. As volunteers like myself, and even my daughter when she was a child, we would just empty the boots, sit in trailers, sort the money and count it for the firefighters. We would get them their lunch, their drinks. We were just their support system. The firefights were out on the road, which is probably the best people to be out there when it comes to safety," she said. 

City Council will discuss the ban April 16 in a special public meeting at 5 pm. 

By Cristy Aranguiz, KHQ Local News Reporter

 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Apple orchestrates deal for song-recognition app Shazam

    Apple orchestrates deal for song-recognition app Shazam

    Monday, December 11 2017 5:49 PM EST2017-12-11 22:49:09 GMT

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Apple has bought Shazam, the maker of a song-recognition app that Apple's digital assistant Siri has already been using to help people identify the music playing on their iPhones.    The companies didn't disclose the price of the acquisition announced Monday. Technology news site Recode previously reported Apple is paying about $400 million for Shazam, citing three unidentified people familiar with the deal.

    More >>

    SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Apple has bought Shazam, the maker of a song-recognition app that Apple's digital assistant Siri has already been using to help people identify the music playing on their iPhones.    The companies didn't disclose the price of the acquisition announced Monday. Technology news site Recode previously reported Apple is paying about $400 million for Shazam, citing three unidentified people familiar with the deal.

    More >>
  • 2 suspects in Graham school shooting released

    2 suspects in Graham school shooting released

    Monday, December 11 2017 5:40 PM EST2017-12-11 22:40:47 GMT

    GRAHAM, Wash.(AP) - Authorities say two teenagers who were arrested in connection with a double shooting last week outside a high school near Tacoma will be released pending further developments in the case.    KOMO-TV reports the Pierce County Prosecutor's Office said Monday no charges have been filed and the two suspects would be released after a 72-hour hold.

    More >>

    GRAHAM, Wash.(AP) - Authorities say two teenagers who were arrested in connection with a double shooting last week outside a high school near Tacoma will be released pending further developments in the case.    KOMO-TV reports the Pierce County Prosecutor's Office said Monday no charges have been filed and the two suspects would be released after a 72-hour hold.

    More >>
  • Authorities: Couple left boy in Florida trailer for 2 months

    Authorities: Couple left boy in Florida trailer for 2 months

    Monday, December 11 2017 5:35 PM EST2017-12-11 22:35:04 GMT

    PENSACOLA (AP) - Authorities say a Florida couple left a boy alone in a trailer for about two months.    The Pensacola News Journal reports that 34-year-old Jennifer Nichols and 32-year-old Joshua Sanders were arrested Nov. 30 and charged with child neglect. Officials didn't say how old the boy was or how he was related to Nichols or Sanders.

    More >>

    PENSACOLA (AP) - Authorities say a Florida couple left a boy alone in a trailer for about two months.    The Pensacola News Journal reports that 34-year-old Jennifer Nichols and 32-year-old Joshua Sanders were arrested Nov. 30 and charged with child neglect. Officials didn't say how old the boy was or how he was related to Nichols or Sanders.

    More >>