Preventing Violence Against Kids In The Wake Of Infant’s Death - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Preventing Violence Against Kids In The Wake Of Infant’s Death

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, Wash – In the wake of the recent death of an 18-month-old in Spokane, the Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery is speaking out about resources available for parents who feel overwhelmed or struggling.

"It's truly devastating," said Executive Director Amy Knapton.  "There's no excuse for losing a child in our community to something violent like this.  It's an unnecessary action, it's an unnecessary outcome for a baby."

Knapton told KHQ one of the biggest things for parents to remember is when you feel like you're at a breaking point, take a minute to step back and calm down.  Call a friend or family member, or even the Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery's 24-hour hotline at (509) 535-3155.

Even though ‘crisis' is in the name, they'd like to help you long before you get to that point.  They offer parental education resources, counseling, and emergency child care for those birth through age 6.

The Vanessa Behan Crisis Nursery can serve 4,000 kids a year, and are working on upping that number to 5,000 this summer.

However, they had to turn away 3,000 calls for help last year, and that's what scares them.

"My concern, and I think every one of our staff, is when we get that call and we have to say, ‘No,' are they going to be your headline the next day?" Knapton added.

Vanessa Behan does ‘triage' the calls they get, in an effort to take in the kids who are at the highest-risk. 

This month marks the Nursery's 7th annual "Our Kids, Our Business" campaign, aimed not only at abused and neglected kids, but also helping all kids from birth on have a safe home, tools for success in school, and other necessities.

Vanessa Behan does serve families from North Idaho as well, and there's another local resource called the "Children's Village" in Coeur D'Alene.  It can be reached at (208) 667-1189.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Louisiana homeowner finds naked intruder in her tub, eating Cheetos

    Louisiana homeowner finds naked intruder in her tub, eating Cheetos

    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:29 AM EDT2018-04-19 13:29:24 GMT
    PHOTO: Ouachita County Sheriff's OfficePHOTO: Ouachita County Sheriff's Office

    MONROE, La. - Police in Louisiana say a woman came home to discover a naked stranger in her tub, eating her Cheetos while taking a bath. A Monroe police affidavit says 29-year-old Evelyn Washington was arrested on burglary and property damage charges. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that a responding officer found "a full tub of water and a plate of food along with half eaten Cheetos belonging to the victim on the toilet next to the tub."   

    More >>

    MONROE, La. - Police in Louisiana say a woman came home to discover a naked stranger in her tub, eating her Cheetos while taking a bath. A Monroe police affidavit says 29-year-old Evelyn Washington was arrested on burglary and property damage charges. The Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports that a responding officer found "a full tub of water and a plate of food along with half eaten Cheetos belonging to the victim on the toilet next to the tub."   

    More >>
  • Pompeo, Kim discussed held Americans

    Pompeo, Kim discussed held Americans

    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:05 AM EDT2018-04-19 13:05:29 GMT

    WASHINGTON (AP) - CIA Director Mike Pompeo raised the plight of three U.S. citizens held in North Korea during his meeting earlier this month with Kim Jong Un. That's according to a senior White House official who was not authorized to publicly discuss the sensitive discussions and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.  

    More >>

    WASHINGTON (AP) - CIA Director Mike Pompeo raised the plight of three U.S. citizens held in North Korea during his meeting earlier this month with Kim Jong Un. That's according to a senior White House official who was not authorized to publicly discuss the sensitive discussions and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.  

    More >>
  • It's (another) boy! Michigan family with 13 sons gets No. 14

    It's (another) boy! Michigan family with 13 sons gets No. 14

    Thursday, April 19 2018 9:00 AM EDT2018-04-19 13:00:45 GMT

    ROCKFORD, Mich. - A Michigan couple with 13 sons has welcomed a 14th into the family. The Grand Rapids Press reports Jay and Kateri Schwandt's latest addition was born Wednesday evening, five days before the baby's expected due date. WOOD-TV reports the boy weighs 8 pounds, 4 ounces and is 21 inches long.  

    More >>

    ROCKFORD, Mich. - A Michigan couple with 13 sons has welcomed a 14th into the family. The Grand Rapids Press reports Jay and Kateri Schwandt's latest addition was born Wednesday evening, five days before the baby's expected due date. WOOD-TV reports the boy weighs 8 pounds, 4 ounces and is 21 inches long.  

    More >>