NATO: 5 Americans Killed In Southern Afghanistan - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

SALUTING THE BRAVE: Seven American Troops Killed In Separate Afghan Attacks

Posted: Updated:

NBCNEWS.COM - Seven U.S. troops were killed Saturday in two separate incidents in Afghanistan – the second time in the past week that so many American lives were lost in a single day in the war-torn country.

Five were killed in an attack involving an improvised explosive device in the southern part of Afghanistan, the International Security Assistance Force said in a statement. Kandahar governor's spokesperson Jawed Faizel said the device was a large roadside bomb.

Two other U.S. troops died after an Afghan National Army soldier turned his weapon on them in what is commonly referred to as a "green on blue" attack, the ISAF said.

Nineteen American personnel have died over the past week, including a series of air crashes and the attacks on Saturday. Seven people died when a U.S. civilian cargo plane crashed and exploded shortly after takeoff from Bagram Airfield outside Kabul earlier in the week.

The deaths came as Afghan President Hamid Karzai said at a news conference that the CIA would continue funneling large amounts of cash to his government.

According to The Associated Press, Karzai said he told the CIA's Kabul station chief: "'Because of all these rumors in the media, please do not cut all this money because we really need it. We want to continue this sort of assistance.' And he promised that they are not going to cut this money."

"We have spent it in different areas (and) solved lots of our problems," Karzai reportedly said.

The CIA payments were made in cash, Karzai said, adding that "all the money which we have spent, receipts have been sent back to the intelligence service of the United States monthly."

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Ex-Mafia Hit Man ‘Sammy the Bull’ Gravano Released From Federal Prison

    Ex-Mafia Hit Man ‘Sammy the Bull’ Gravano Released From Federal Prison

    Friday, September 22 2017 9:06 AM EDT2017-09-22 13:06:55 GMT

    PHOENIX — Former Mafia hit man Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano has been released early from federal prison after serving most of a 20-year sentence for drug-related convictions in Arizona and New York, his attorney said Thursday. Thomas Farinella said his 72-year-old client was released Monday, but wouldn't disclose where Gravano served his time or where he plans to live now that he's a free man.

    More >>

    PHOENIX — Former Mafia hit man Salvatore "Sammy the Bull" Gravano has been released early from federal prison after serving most of a 20-year sentence for drug-related convictions in Arizona and New York, his attorney said Thursday. Thomas Farinella said his 72-year-old client was released Monday, but wouldn't disclose where Gravano served his time or where he plans to live now that he's a free man.

    More >>
  • Coeur d’Alene armed robbery suspect arrested thanks to tips from citizens

    Friday, September 22 2017 7:55 AM EDT2017-09-22 11:55:36 GMT

    UPDATE: Detectives with the Coeur d’Alene Police Department were able to identify and arrest Christopher N Guinasso for the armed robbery at Jordan’s Grocery on September 20, 2017. Guinasso is a 20 year old male from Coeur d’Alene. He was booked into the Kootenai County Jail for one count of Robbery.

    More >>

    UPDATE: Detectives with the Coeur d’Alene Police Department were able to identify and arrest Christopher N Guinasso for the armed robbery at Jordan’s Grocery on September 20, 2017. Guinasso is a 20 year old male from Coeur d’Alene. He was booked into the Kootenai County Jail for one count of Robbery.

    More >>
  • After murder conviction and suicide, Aaron Hernandez found to have sever CTE

    After murder conviction and suicide, Aaron Hernandez found to have sever CTE

    Friday, September 22 2017 7:47 AM EDT2017-09-22 11:47:13 GMT

    KHQ.COM - A lawyer for Aaron Hernandez says the brain of the former Patriots tight end showed he had stage 3 chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) — a type of traumatic brain injury that can only be diagnosed postmortem. Researchers at Boston University said the late 27-year-old had the worst case of CTE they had ever seen in a person his age, stating that his brain resembled that of a 67-year-old football player.

    More >>

    KHQ.COM - A lawyer for Aaron Hernandez says the brain of the former Patriots tight end showed he had stage 3 chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) — a type of traumatic brain injury that can only be diagnosed postmortem. Researchers at Boston University said the late 27-year-old had the worst case of CTE they had ever seen in a person his age, stating that his brain resembled that of a 67-year-old football player.

    More >>