One Man Dead After Fight at Cherry Avenue Home - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

One Man Dead After Fight at Cherry Avenue Home

Posted: Updated:


YAKIMA, Wash.--Yakima Police said it was a drunken fight that got out of hand and left a 45-year-old man dead.

"In terms of some of the reports there may be a history of when they drink too much together they fight," said Captain Rod Light with the Yakima Police Department.

According to court documents, 21-year-old Gage Rogers brutally beat his Uncle, Eric Taylor, Monday around 10:30 p.m.  at a house along the1100 Block of Cherry Avenue.  Records said he stomped the victim in the face at least twice and dragged his unconscious body around the basement.

"Many are much more violent than others and this one obviously it was fueled by alcohol clearly, and certainly went over the top," said Captain Light.

People living in the area said they prefer to stay anonymous, but tell us it was quite a commotion when all the police officers arrived.

"There was a lot, there was probably like eight or ten, I don't know really," said someone who lives in the neighborhood. "There was a lot though. Last night there was a lot of sirens."

Police said a man living in the house was able to hold the suspect down despite being punched in the face several times. Officers took Rogers into custody and emergency crews transported the victim to a local hospital where he died from his injuries later that night.

A brutal attack but one that doesn't surprise people living in the neighborhood.

"Well no cause it's the hood right here. You see them every day. Every day there's shooting, you know it happens every day."

Rogers is now in the Yakima County Jail facing charges of second degree murder. His bail is set at $1 million.


YAKIMA, Wash.-- A 21-year-old man in Yakima faces murder charges this morning after police say he got into a fight and killed an older man.

It started last night at around 10:30.

Police were sent to a report of a fight in a house on the 1100 block of Cherry Avenue.

They say the 21 year old attacked the 45-year-old victim in the basement.

A man and his son heard the sounds of the attack, and went down to the basement and saw that the victim was badly injured.

The man and his son held the suspect at the scene until police arrived.

The victim was taken to the hospital with serious head trauma.

Police say despite several attempts to revive him, the victim never regained consciousness and was declared dead before midnight.

Detectives say the suspect now faces charges of second-degree murder.

We'll continue to follow this story and update you as we get more information.