Spokane Boy Walks For The First Time In His Life - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Spokane Boy Walks For The First Time In His Life

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, WASH. -  Most doctors never gave Tyler Dullanty a chance. Thank goodness one doctor in St. Louis Missouri did. When Michelle Dullanty was pregnant she contracted a virus that was passed onto her unborn son Tyler. When he was born he had a difficult road ahead. Doctors said he may never walk, talk, hear or see, but that was then and now he's doing mostly everything the rest of the kids do.

"I'm very blessed that he is in our life," Michelle Dullanty said.

Tyler recently had what some call a medical miracle when a doctor performed a spinal procedure at the St. Louis Children's Hospital in Missouri. He went to the doctor unable to walk, but now he is making his way around for the first time in his life.

"He just defies us everyday and he keeps on pushing," Mike Dullanty said. "It's a joy that's the best way you can really put it."

Mike Dullanty said he never thought he would be able to go play baseball in the front yard with Tyler or throw the football around, but now he may get that chance.

"Even the doctors said that he will be able to participate in recreational sports like soccer and baseball," Mike Dullanty said. "It is an incredible feeling of hope and hope for his future."

When Tyler left the doctors office a few months back the doctor said he hoped Tyler would walk in a year, but eight weeks later he was moving around. 

"He doesn't know what his limitations are, nor will he ever I don't think," Mike Dullanty said. "That's an incredible attribute to have. I wish I had it some days."

Right now Tyler, his parents and two other siblings are just enjoying the moment as he walks with the rest.

"It's a dream come true, it really is."   

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:10 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:10:59 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>
  • Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:09 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:09:41 GMT
    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabinFire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>
  • Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Friday, September 22 2017 9:59 PM EDT2017-09-23 01:59:50 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>