Belize Deputy Prime Minister Calls For Prosecutions In Pyramid D - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Belize Deputy Prime Minister Calls For Prosecutions In Pyramid Destruction

Posted: Updated:
Photo from CNN Photo from CNN

(CNN) -- The deputy prime minister of Belize is calling for full prosecution of those responsible for destroying a 2,300-year-old Mayan pyramid to turn it into rock for roads.

"All those found responsible for the destruction of this site should be persecuted to the full extent of the law," read a statement from the office of Gaspar Vega, who is also the representative for the Orange Walk area in northern Belize where the Noh Mul pyramid was destroyed last week.

Only a small chunk of the pyramid, which stood about 65 feet tall and was the center of a settlement of about 40,000 people in 250 B.C., remains after backhoes and bulldozers began removing the limestone slabs with which it was built last week. The pyramid stood on private land.

The limestone is favored for building roads in the area, and the local chapter of the Belize Tourism Industry Association alleged in a statement that local government officials have been complicit in the destruction of ancient sites like Noh Mul.

"Noh Mul had been one of the ancient monuments with the greatest tourism development potential in northern Belize," the association said. "Unfortunately, such progress has been severely hampered due to the ignorance and greed of certain individuals."

"More sites have been destroyed in Orange Walk by the Ministry of Works and others for road fill material than in any other part of the country," the association said it was told by an unnamed senior government official.

In his statement, Vega denied any involvement.

"Minister Vega also emphatically repudiates the allegation and or perception that he was involved in any way with the destruction of the Noh Mul," the statement read.

In a separate statement, Belize's Ministry of Tourism & Culture said it had commissioned a full investigation of the Noh Mul destruction, calling it "callous, ignorant and unforgivable."

"Cultural landmarks such as Noh Mul are sacred artifacts of Belizean history and should be protected at all costs. This expressed disdain for our laws and policies is incomprehensible," the ministry statement said.

Archeologists had similar words for what happened to the pyramid.

"This is one of the worst that I have seen in my entire 25 years of archaeology in Belize," John Morris, an archaeologist with the country's Institute of Archaeology, told local channel 7NewsBelize. "We can't salvage what has happened out here -- it is an incredible display of ignorance."

The institute's director, Jaime Awe, called the destruction "one of the worse set of blows I have felt philosophically and professionally."

Archaeologists said they would ask police to take action against both the landowner and contractor, according to local media reports.

"It is against the law; it is against the nature act to willfully destroy an ancient monument," Awe told News5 in Belize. "Any willful destruction of an ancient site or monument has penalties of 10 years' imprisonment or $10,000 for this kind of destruction."

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • WWII veteran receives medals he earned nearly 7 decades later

    WWII veteran receives medals he earned nearly 7 decades later

    Thursday, September 21 2017 9:27 PM EDT2017-09-22 01:27:05 GMT
    Courtesy NBC NewsCourtesy NBC News

    LOUISVILLE, Ky. NBC - A WWII veteran finally received the medals he earned while serving in Europe more than seven decades ago. 94-year-old Roscoe Kerr, Junior joined the 28th Medical Depot Company when he was 19. He was in a crash and spent several months in the hospital before being discharged. For decades, he felt like he was never part of the greatest generation because he was never officially recognized. Kerr's son-in-law wrote to the Department of Defense to try and get his medals.

    More >>

    LOUISVILLE, Ky. NBC - A WWII veteran finally received the medals he earned while serving in Europe more than seven decades ago. 94-year-old Roscoe Kerr, Junior joined the 28th Medical Depot Company when he was 19. He was in a crash and spent several months in the hospital before being discharged. For decades, he felt like he was never part of the greatest generation because he was never officially recognized. Kerr's son-in-law wrote to the Department of Defense to try and get his medals.

    More >>
  • Council member gives opponent ABC (already been chewed) gum

    Council member gives opponent ABC (already been chewed) gum

    Thursday, September 21 2017 8:09 PM EDT2017-09-22 00:09:26 GMT

    MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (AP) - A Minneapolis City Council member has given one of her opponents something to chew over - a piece of chewed gum. Twenty-year incumbent Lisa Goodman took the gum out of her mouth and handed it to challenger Teqen Zea-Aida before the start of a candidate forum Tuesday. Goodman asked Zea-Aida: "Would you take my gum, please?" Goodman tells the Star Tribune she couldn't find any paper to get rid 

    More >>

    MINNEAPOLIS, Minn. (AP) - A Minneapolis City Council member has given one of her opponents something to chew over - a piece of chewed gum. Twenty-year incumbent Lisa Goodman took the gum out of her mouth and handed it to challenger Teqen Zea-Aida before the start of a candidate forum Tuesday. Goodman asked Zea-Aida: "Would you take my gum, please?" Goodman tells the Star Tribune she couldn't find any paper to get rid 

    More >>
  • The Latest: Kim says Trump will 'pay dearly' for threat

    The Latest: Kim says Trump will 'pay dearly' for threat

    Thursday, September 21 2017 7:53 PM EDT2017-09-21 23:53:30 GMT
    The Latest: Kim says Trump will 'pay dearly' for threatThe Latest: Kim says Trump will 'pay dearly' for threat

    NEW YORK (AP) - The Latest on President Donald Trump and North Korea (all times local): 7:30 p.m. President Donald Trump has added economic action to his fiery military threats against North Korea, authorizing stiffer new sanctions in response to the Koreans' nuclear weapons advances. Its leader Kim Jong Un issued a rare statement, branding Trump as "deranged" and warning he will "pay dearly" his threat to "totally destroy" the North if it attacks. The e...

    More >>

    NEW YORK (AP) - The Latest on President Donald Trump and North Korea (all times local): 7:30 p.m. President Donald Trump has added economic action to his fiery military threats against North Korea, authorizing stiffer new sanctions in response to the Koreans' nuclear weapons advances. Its leader Kim Jong Un issued a rare statement, branding Trump as "deranged" and warning he will "pay dearly" his threat to "totally destroy" the North if it attacks. The e...

    More >>