Yakima Firefighters Get Creative to Save Cat Stuck in Hole - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Yakima Firefighters Get Creative to Save Cat Stuck in Hole

Posted: Updated:

YAKIMA, Wash.-- Yakima firefighters pulled a cat, missing for about a month, out of a deep hole hidden in a neighbor's backyard.

Mai Tai the cat is back home resting comfortably. A big relief to her owners who had been looking for her for about a month.      

"We never had any word of her or any sign of her and we really had given up," said Doris Matson, the cat's owner.

The 8-month old Siamese had disappeared. Doris says they had no idea where she went or what happened, but as it turns out, Mai Tai didn't make it very far from home. The curious cat just ventured across the street, into the backyard of Virginia Hislop.
"For the last three days I had heard a cat meowing around," Virginia said.

So, she did a little investigating. And after several failed attempts to coax the cat out of her bushes, she decided to call animal control.

"He probed and he had a light and he switched around, nothing happened. He said, but I can hear the cat," said Virginia.

Virginia says animal control then called the fire department for help.

After cutting back the bushes, they found a nearly 25 foot deep hole in her backyard, with Mai Tai stuck inside.

Virginia says crews used a little basket with some cat food in it to get Mai Tai out.
"The pediatrician that lives across the street saw all this, so he came over to see if everything was alright, and low and behold they brought the cat up and it was his cat," Virginia said.

"It's a miracle. It's kind of a miracle story I think. At least we feel like it is, we thought she was gone, just totally gone," said Doris.

She says Mai Tai had lost a lot of weight while stuck in the hole, but overall is doing just fine.

Virginia's not sure how the hole came to be in her yard, but she does plan to have it filled so no other cats will fall in.

"Got the cat out alive. Neighbor is happy, I was happy, and I haven't heard any little meows since," said Virginia.