Amanda Bynes Freed; Says Bong Was 'A Vase' - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Amanda Bynes Freed; Says Bong Was 'A Vase'

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy: NBC News Photo courtesy: NBC News

NBCNEWS.COM - Actress Amanda Bynes appeared in court briefly Friday morning after a wild Thursday night confrontation with police at her New York apartment. Bynes was released from police custody until a July 9 court date.

According to NBC New York, Bynes' lawyer told the judge she had never been in any trouble before, and the actress was warned that another arrest or failure to appear would lead to "significant bail." Prosecutors had asked for $1,000 bail on this case but the request was denied, E! Online reports.

In a photo obtained by NBC New York, Bynes , 27, wore a mussed long blond wig for her court appearance. A mug shot revealed close-cropped hair without the wig. Bynes showed off a half-shaved head in photos she shared on Twitter in April.

A doorman in Bynes' Manhattan high-rise reportedly called police Thursday night and said she was smoking marijuana in the building's lobby. When police went to Bynes' 36th floor apartment, they reportedly smelled marijuana and saw the actress throw a bong out the window.

She was taken into custody and charged with tampering with physical evidence, reckless endangerment and criminal possession of marijuana.

Bynes' lawyer denied in court that she threw the bong and said police entered her apartment illegally. Bynes told the police that the glass pipe was "just a vase," The New York Daily News reports. It was not recovered by police.

Bynes is on probation for three years for driving with a suspended license and also has a DUI case pending in southern California.

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Vietnam Sentences American Man To Death For Heroin

    Vietnam Sentences American Man To Death For Heroin

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:48:39 GMT
    HANOI, Vietnam (AP) - State media say a court in Vietnam has sentenced an American to death for heroin trafficking. The Liberated Saigon newspaper says Jason Dinh, 41, was convicted of trafficking 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of heroin at a one-day trial by Ho Chi Minh City's People's Court on Tuesday.More >>
    HANOI, Vietnam (AP) - State media say a court in Vietnam has sentenced an American to death for heroin trafficking. The Liberated Saigon newspaper says Jason Dinh, 41, was convicted of trafficking 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of heroin at a one-day trial by Ho Chi Minh City's People's Court on Tuesday.More >>
  • Family Sues N.J. District Over 'Under God' In Pledge Of Allegiance

    Family Sues N.J. District Over 'Under God' In Pledge Of Allegiance

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:21 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:21:31 GMT
    A family is suing a New Jersey school district, contending that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminates against atheist children.A family is suing a New Jersey school district, contending that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminates against atheist children.
    FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) - A family is suing a New Jersey school district, contending that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminates against atheist children.More >>
    FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) - A family is suing a New Jersey school district, contending that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminates against atheist children. The lawsuit against the Matawan-Aberdeen Regional School District was filed in state court last month and was announced yesterday by the American Humanist Association. More >>
  • South Korean Ferry: 113 Now Confirmed Dead, 190 Still Missing

    South Korean Ferry: 113 Now Confirmed Dead, 190 Still Missing

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:29 AM EDT2014-04-22 14:29:47 GMT
    JINDO, South Korea (AP) - As more bodies are recovered from a sunken South Korean ferry, the number of confirmed dead has reached 113, with about 190 people still missing. Meanwhile, four crew members who are accused of abandoning the ship and failing to protect the passengers have been arrested, three days after warrants were issued for the captain and two other crew members.More >>
    JINDO, South Korea (AP) - As more bodies are recovered from a sunken South Korean ferry, the number of confirmed dead has reached 113, with about 190 people still missing. Meanwhile, four crew members who are accused of abandoning the ship and failing to protect the passengers have been arrested, three days after warrants were issued for the captain and two other crew members.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.