Teacher Shows Horror Film 'Saw' To 6th Graders! - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Teacher Shows Horror Film 'Saw' To 6th Graders!

Posted: Updated:

NBCNEWS.COM - As the school year comes to a close, many teachers are giving students a break from all of those final exams with the occasional class video, or movie. But the R-rated film "Saw" might not be the best idea -- particularly for a teacher of 6th graders.

Still, that's what happened in a suburb just outside Paris on Monday, according to Europe 1 (as translated by Gawker) when math teacher Jean-Baptiste Clément reportedly told his 11-year-old students, "This will be your first horror film."

"Saw" is indeed a 2004 horror film from director James Wan that spawned six sequels, and is considered to be of a new, lower-budget, independent horror film genre often called "torture porn." It focuses on a sadistic killer who directs his victims to play "games" in which they are forced to kill one another.

One student's father told The Local that his child came home "visibly in some discomfort."

Clément was disciplined Tuesday and given a one-day suspension, a representative for the Federation of Students' Parents Councils said, adding that there may be legal measures to pursue in the incident.

But, as the Local noted, this wasn't the first time in recent memory that a French teacher got in trouble for creative teaching styles -- in May a teacher used a swastika to teach geometry, and another one was investigated in February for asking her students to write their own suicide notes. And The Hollywood Reporter noted that a 6th-grade Georgia teacher was recently investigated for showing R-rated films like "The Campaign" and "Ted" to his students.

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Charge filed against dad in 1983 toddler killing

    Charge filed against dad in 1983 toddler killing

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:02 PM EDT2014-09-17 00:02:40 GMT
    TACOMA, Wash. - Prosecutors in Pierce County, Washington, have filed a manslaughter charge against a 57-year-old man for killing his 3-year-old son in 1983. More >>
    TACOMA, Wash. - Prosecutors in Pierce County, Washington, have filed a manslaughter charge against a 57-year-old man for killing his 3-year-old son in 1983. Prosecutors said Tuesday that a warrant has been issued for Stanley Guidroz to return to Washington to face the charge. Guidroz is currently serving time in a Louisiana prison for murdering his wife, who is not the boy's mom.More >>
  • UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    Saturday, September 13 2014 8:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 00:50:23 GMT
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
  • Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:31:35 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.