Senators Seek Cost Cuts For F-35 Fighter Jet - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Senators Seek Cost Cuts For F-35 Fighter Jet

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Senators are seeking cost-cutting opportunities in the Pentagon's $400 billion program for the next-generation F-35, a fighter jet with a troubled testing record that military leaders say America cannot afford not to build.
    
Chairing the hearing, Sen. Dick Durbin on Wednesday compared the F-35's history to a textbook on how not to develop a plane.
    
The Illinois Democrat asked military leaders to justify a decade of expanding costs.
    
They stressed that costs were now decreasing.
    
Pentagon acquisitions chief Frank Kendall said the plane is 90 percent developed. Testing is almost half-done.
    
Kendall said no one is considering stopping the program.
    
The F-35 would replace Cold War-era aircraft including the F/A-18 Hornet and AV-8B Harrier. It's the Pentagon's priciest weapons program ever. Estimates suggest costs could reach $1 trillion.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Charge filed against dad in 1983 toddler killing

    Charge filed against dad in 1983 toddler killing

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:02 PM EDT2014-09-17 00:02:40 GMT
    TACOMA, Wash. - Prosecutors in Pierce County, Washington, have filed a manslaughter charge against a 57-year-old man for killing his 3-year-old son in 1983. More >>
    TACOMA, Wash. - Prosecutors in Pierce County, Washington, have filed a manslaughter charge against a 57-year-old man for killing his 3-year-old son in 1983. Prosecutors said Tuesday that a warrant has been issued for Stanley Guidroz to return to Washington to face the charge. Guidroz is currently serving time in a Louisiana prison for murdering his wife, who is not the boy's mom.More >>
  • UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    Saturday, September 13 2014 8:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 00:50:23 GMT
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
  • Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:31:35 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.