UPDATE: Spokane Ricin Suspect Pleads Not Guilty - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Spokane Ricin Suspect Pleads Not Guilty

Posted: Updated:

UPDATE: On Wednesday Matthew Buquet, the Spokane ricin suspect, plead not guilty to charges in the latest indictment against him. The trial date has been set for 7/22/13.

PREVIOUS STORY:

SPOKANE, Wash. - A federal grand jury has indicted a Spokane man for mailing a threatening letter containing the poison ricin to President Obama.
    
The indictment handed down Wednesday contends that 37-year-old Matthew Buquet developed the biological agent in violation of federal law, and that he further violated the law by mailing letters containing ricin to Obama and U.S. District Court Judge Fred Van Sickle.
    
The letters also contained the statement: "We have a bomb placed. We are going to Kill you. Hezbollah."
    
Buquet was arrested last month in connection with the sending of five ricin-laced letters from Spokane, and remains in jail. The other letters were mailed to a Spokane post office, Fairchild Air Force Base and the CIA.
    
No one was injured and no motive has been offered for the mailings.

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - On Wednesday a Federal Grand Jury indictment was filed for a Spokane man who's accused of mailing ricin laced letters. The suspect is identified as Matthew Ryan Buquet. The indictment says Buquet wrote "We have a bomb placed, we are going to kill you, Hezbollah," to President Obama and to a Spokane Federal Judge.

Press Release From The FBI on June 9th:

Today, June 8, 2013, postal workers at the U.S. Post Office on W. Riverside Avenue, Spokane, Washington, located the fifth letter being sought by FBI and USPIS investigators in connection with four others containing the active ricin toxin. It came through the post office, after being returned to sender by a location that does not receive mail deliveries. It had been addressed to the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). The envelope was found unopened and not leaking any materials. There are no reports of USPS employee injuries or illness.

The external appearance of the envelope is similar to the previous four letters, with a postmark of May 13, 2013 from Spokane, Washington, and the handwritten address penned in red ink. The unopened letter is being safely transported to the National Bioforensic Analysis Center for further testing.

The FBI and USPIS are not aware of any injuries or illnesses caused by any of the letters.

As noted previously, Matthew Ryan Buquet faces a one-count grand jury indictment for mailing threatening communications, in relation to the letter sent to a Federal District Court Judge in Spokane. The investigation is ongoing, and we are focused on conducting it thoroughly, which will take an undetermined period of time. The FBI and USPIS have no other details to release at present. When the final testing results are returned, we will notify you. This will likely be no sooner than the middle of next week.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Teen Suspended For Asking Miss America To Prom

    Teen Suspended For Asking Miss America To Prom

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:34 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:34:48 GMT
    YORK, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania high school student is in hot water for asking Miss America to prom during a question and answer session at school. Eighteen-year-old Patrick Farves said he received three days of in-school suspension Thursday because he asked Nina Davuluri to prom.
    More >>
    YORK, Pa. (AP) — A Pennsylvania high school student is in hot water for asking Miss America to prom during a question and answer session at school. Eighteen-year-old Patrick Farves said he received three days of in-school suspension Thursday because he asked Nina Davuluri to prom.

    More >>
  • Widow Seeks $7 Million After Deadly Oso Mudslide

    Widow Seeks $7 Million After Deadly Oso Mudslide

    Friday, April 18 2014 11:10 PM EDT2014-04-19 03:10:58 GMT
    EVERETT, Wash. (AP) - The lawyer for a woman whose husband died in the deadly Washington state mudslide says her client has filed claims seeking a total of $7 million from Washington state and Snohomish County.Lawyer Corrie Yackulic said Friday that Deborah Durnell wants to learn exactly why a hillside gave way and what government officials knew about risks to those living below in the small community of Oso, 55 miles northeast of Seattle.More >>
    EVERETT, Wash. (AP) - The lawyer for a woman whose husband died in the deadly Washington state mudslide says her client has filed claims seeking a total of $7 million from Washington state and Snohomish County.Lawyer Corrie Yackulic said Friday that Deborah Durnell wants to learn exactly why a hillside gave way and what government officials knew about risks to those living below in the small community of Oso, 55 miles northeast of Seattle.More >>
  • Two Suspects Arrested: May Be Involved In A String Of Fast Food Robberies In Spokane

    Two Suspects Arrested: May Be Involved In A String Of Fast Food Robberies In Spokane

    Friday, April 18 2014 10:25 PM EDT2014-04-19 02:25:51 GMT
    UPDATE: Two suspects have been arrested in connection to the robbery that occurred Thursday evening at the McDonald's at 2200 W. Wellesley Ave. Major Crimes Detectives are also investigating the possibility these suspects are connected to other robbery incidents.More >>
    UPDATE: Two suspects have been arrested in connection to the robbery that occurred Thursday evening at the McDonald's at 2200 W. Wellesley Ave. Major Crimes Detectives are also investigating the possibility these suspects are connected to other robbery incidents.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.