UPDATE: Officer Involved Shooting in White Swan - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Officer Involved Shooting in White Swan

Posted: Updated:


UPDATE : WHITE SWAN, Wash. - We now know the name of the man who deputies say tried to shoot a Tribal Police Officer in White Swan. 

Yakima County Sheriff Deputies booked 44-year-old Douglas Clark Kemp into the Yakima County Jail Thursday afternoon. He faces charges of attempted murder, first degree burglary, assault and unlawful possession of a firearm. 




YAKIMA, Wash.-- Some tense moments in White Swan Thursday morning after a 44-year-old man opened fire on a Tribal Police Officer.

Yakima County Sheriff Deputies say they got a call around 4:40 AM about an armed man who had confronted a homeowner in the Totus Park development in White Swan.

Deputies say a tribal police officer spotted the man near the intersection of Chestnut and 1St Street, and told him to raise his hands over his head, but the man opened fire.  

The officer fired back, but the bullet grazed the man's arm as he ran from the scene. Deputies and Tribal Police were not sure where he ran, so they set up a perimeter.

"Where he'd hid was known and because he was reported to be an armed individual, nobody was wandering through the area looking for him, instead the area was cordoned off, perimeter was set up and we waited for the SWAT team to arrive," said Chief Stew Graham with the Yakima County Sheriff's Office.

The SWAT team found the suspect a few hours later hiding in a back yard. He surrendered without incident.

The tribal officer involved in the shooting was not injured.

The Yakima County Sheriff's Office is investigating the criminal side and the FBI is conducting a routine investigation into the officer involved shooting.

Deputies booked the 44-year-old into the Yakima County Jail.




WHITE SWAN, Wash. - Yakama Tribal police are investigating after a shooting early Thursday morning in White Swan at the intersection of Walnut Ave. and 1st St.

A Yakama Nation spokesperson confirmed one of their officers was involved but he is not hurt.

Officers have not released any more information at this time. This is an ongoing investigation.