Dad Driving July 4th Float Runs Over Son, Killing Him - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Dad Driving July 4th Float Runs Over Son, Killing Him

Posted: Updated:

EDMOND, Okla. (AP) - Police in a central Oklahoma city say they plan to interview the father who accidentally ran over and killed his 8-year-old son during a Fourth of July parade.
    
Edmond Police spokeswoman Jenny Monroe said officers were unable to speak to the man Thursday because he went to the Oklahoma City hospital where the boy was pronounced dead.
    
The Oklahoma medical examiner's office identified the child Friday as 8-year-old Aiden Hooper.
    
Monroe says the boy was riding on a martial arts group's float at LibertyFest in Edmond before he got down or fell from the vehicle. A flatbed trailer loaded with hay bales knocked the child to the ground and ran over him.
    
Police say they don't expect the father to face any charges.

PREVIOUS STORY:

NBCNEWS.COM - An Oklahoma Fourth of July parade turned tragic Thursday morning when a father accidentally ran over and killed his eight-year-old son who had been on a parade float, police said.

Thousands of people had gathered on the streets of Edmond, Okla., to watch the 40th annual Fourth of July parade, which is part of the weeklong LibertyFest celebration.

Just before 11 a.m. CT,  the little boy "either jumped or fell off" of a flat-bed trailer which was being driven by his father for a local martial arts group, AKA Karate, according to Jenny Monroe, a spokeswoman for the Edmond Police.

The young boy was one of about 20 children on the float. A nurse who was in a car behind the trailer tried to administer CPR to save the boy, according to NBC's local affiliate KFOR. When he was loaded into the ambulance, the nurse said he still had a pulse but the boy was pronounced dead when he arrived at UC Presbyterian Hospital. Edmond police do not suspect foul play and called it a "horrific, unfortunate accident."

Since the investigation is ongoing, police have not released the name of the boy or the driver, but they expect to have more information by Friday.

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Vietnam Sentences American Man To Death For Heroin

    Vietnam Sentences American Man To Death For Heroin

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:48 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:48:39 GMT
    HANOI, Vietnam (AP) - State media say a court in Vietnam has sentenced an American to death for heroin trafficking. The Liberated Saigon newspaper says Jason Dinh, 41, was convicted of trafficking 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of heroin at a one-day trial by Ho Chi Minh City's People's Court on Tuesday.More >>
    HANOI, Vietnam (AP) - State media say a court in Vietnam has sentenced an American to death for heroin trafficking. The Liberated Saigon newspaper says Jason Dinh, 41, was convicted of trafficking 1 kilogram (2.2 pounds) of heroin at a one-day trial by Ho Chi Minh City's People's Court on Tuesday.More >>
  • Family Sues N.J. District Over 'Under God' In Pledge Of Allegiance

    Family Sues N.J. District Over 'Under God' In Pledge Of Allegiance

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:21 PM EDT2014-04-23 02:21:31 GMT
    A family is suing a New Jersey school district, contending that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminates against atheist children.A family is suing a New Jersey school district, contending that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminates against atheist children.
    FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) - A family is suing a New Jersey school district, contending that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminates against atheist children.More >>
    FREEHOLD, N.J. (AP) - A family is suing a New Jersey school district, contending that the phrase "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance discriminates against atheist children. The lawsuit against the Matawan-Aberdeen Regional School District was filed in state court last month and was announced yesterday by the American Humanist Association. More >>
  • South Korean Ferry: 113 Now Confirmed Dead, 190 Still Missing

    South Korean Ferry: 113 Now Confirmed Dead, 190 Still Missing

    Tuesday, April 22 2014 10:29 AM EDT2014-04-22 14:29:47 GMT
    JINDO, South Korea (AP) - As more bodies are recovered from a sunken South Korean ferry, the number of confirmed dead has reached 113, with about 190 people still missing. Meanwhile, four crew members who are accused of abandoning the ship and failing to protect the passengers have been arrested, three days after warrants were issued for the captain and two other crew members.More >>
    JINDO, South Korea (AP) - As more bodies are recovered from a sunken South Korean ferry, the number of confirmed dead has reached 113, with about 190 people still missing. Meanwhile, four crew members who are accused of abandoning the ship and failing to protect the passengers have been arrested, three days after warrants were issued for the captain and two other crew members.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.