UPDATE: Estimated $13M Loss In Pullman Apartment Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

UPDATE: Estimated $13M Loss In Pullman Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:
PULLMAN, Wash. -

The three-alarm fire in Pullman destroyed four apartment buildings and a club house that would have been worth about $13 million when completed this summer.
    
The Moscow-Pullman Daily News reports (http://bit.ly/12tOOuB ) the fire early Sunday destroyed 88 units at the Grove complex, where many residents are Washington State University students. The fire also destroyed three pieces of construction equipment and damaged a dozen more.
    
Pullman Fire Chief Mike Heston says investigators are using an arson dog. An investigator from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also is involved.
    
Pullman mayor and fire department spokesman Glenn Johnson says officials do not believe the fire is related to four unsolved arsons in the spring of last year at Washington State University.

PREVIOUS STORY:

A massive three-alarm blaze woke up several Washington State University students early Sunday morning, when the fire was burning dangerously close to their own complex.

"We were looking at the flames, and we thought it was going to spread," WSU senior Ashley Weyerts told KHQ's Kelsey Watts.

Weyerts and her roommate, WSU sophomore Jessica Johnson, initially heard yelling just after 3:00 a.m. Sunday, then heard someone yell ‘fire.'

"I went to my bedroom window and looked out, and I was expecting just some smoke or a little fire, and instead, saw this huge wall of flames," Weyerts added.

While Johnson called 911, the two helped knock on doors to evacuate fellow residents, then packed their belongings into their cars to get away from the fast-moving fire.

"The scariest part was when we heard the explosions, and that's probably when we really thought for about 5 minutes there, it's really going to spread," Weyerts said.

The explosions came from the propane tanks on the construction site and the gas tanks of the equipment left on scene. The fire burned so hot and fast, it even melted the siding on a building in their complex down to the wood.

"I just don't understand why someone would want to do so much damage, I mean this is affecting hundreds of peoples lives," Johnson told KHQ.

Amazingly, nobody was hurt.

Fire investigators are calling the blaze suspicious, and an active investigation is underway.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Otter attacks swimmers in Washington river

    Otter attacks swimmers in Washington river

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:53 AM EDT2014-08-01 15:53:58 GMT
    MACHIAS, Wash. (AP) - A river otter attacked an 8-year-old boy and his grandmother as they were swimming in the Pilchuck River at a park in the Snohomish County town of Machias. The boy's mother, Tabitha Moser, told KING that she saw the 4-foot otter attack her son Thursday morning at Lake Connor Park. She says her mother saved him.More >>
    MACHIAS, Wash. (AP) - A river otter attacked an 8-year-old boy and his grandmother as they were swimming in the Pilchuck River at a park in the Snohomish County town of Machias. The boy's mother, Tabitha Moser, told KING that she saw the 4-foot otter attack her son Thursday morning at Lake Connor Park. She says her mother saved him.
    More >>
  • Flash-bang grenade injured E. Idaho boys

    Flash-bang grenade injured E. Idaho boys

    Friday, August 1 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-08-01 14:47:07 GMT
    UPDATE: IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) - Authorities in eastern Idaho say the object found by two 14-year-old boys in Rigby that exploded and severed one boy's hand was a type of flash-bang grenade not available to civilians and discontinued years ago.More >>
    UPDATE: IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) - Authorities in eastern Idaho say the object found by two 14-year-old boys in Rigby that exploded and severed one boy's hand was a type of flash-bang grenade not available to civilians and discontinued years ago.More >>
  • 2 Americans detained in North Korea seek US help

    2 Americans detained in North Korea seek US help

    Friday, August 1 2014 10:42 AM EDT2014-08-01 14:42:47 GMT
    PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) - Two Americans charged with "anti-state" crimes in North Korea say in a video that they expect to be tried soon and possibly receive long prison terms, and appeal for help from the U.S. government. The two men, Matthew Todd Miller and Jeffrey Edward Fowle, also apologized to North Korea and the United States, saying they had committed crimes.More >>
    PYONGYANG, North Korea (AP) - Two Americans charged with "anti-state" crimes in North Korea say in a video that they expect to be tried soon and possibly receive long prison terms, and appeal for help from the U.S. government. The two men, Matthew Todd Miller and Jeffrey Edward Fowle, also apologized to North Korea and the United States, saying they had committed crimes.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.