UPDATE: Estimated $13M Loss In Pullman Apartment Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

UPDATE: Estimated $13M Loss In Pullman Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:
PULLMAN, Wash. -

The three-alarm fire in Pullman destroyed four apartment buildings and a club house that would have been worth about $13 million when completed this summer.
    
The Moscow-Pullman Daily News reports (http://bit.ly/12tOOuB ) the fire early Sunday destroyed 88 units at the Grove complex, where many residents are Washington State University students. The fire also destroyed three pieces of construction equipment and damaged a dozen more.
    
Pullman Fire Chief Mike Heston says investigators are using an arson dog. An investigator from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives also is involved.
    
Pullman mayor and fire department spokesman Glenn Johnson says officials do not believe the fire is related to four unsolved arsons in the spring of last year at Washington State University.

PREVIOUS STORY:

A massive three-alarm blaze woke up several Washington State University students early Sunday morning, when the fire was burning dangerously close to their own complex.

"We were looking at the flames, and we thought it was going to spread," WSU senior Ashley Weyerts told KHQ's Kelsey Watts.

Weyerts and her roommate, WSU sophomore Jessica Johnson, initially heard yelling just after 3:00 a.m. Sunday, then heard someone yell ‘fire.'

"I went to my bedroom window and looked out, and I was expecting just some smoke or a little fire, and instead, saw this huge wall of flames," Weyerts added.

While Johnson called 911, the two helped knock on doors to evacuate fellow residents, then packed their belongings into their cars to get away from the fast-moving fire.

"The scariest part was when we heard the explosions, and that's probably when we really thought for about 5 minutes there, it's really going to spread," Weyerts said.

The explosions came from the propane tanks on the construction site and the gas tanks of the equipment left on scene. The fire burned so hot and fast, it even melted the siding on a building in their complex down to the wood.

"I just don't understand why someone would want to do so much damage, I mean this is affecting hundreds of peoples lives," Johnson told KHQ.

Amazingly, nobody was hurt.

Fire investigators are calling the blaze suspicious, and an active investigation is underway.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • NE W INFORMATION: High Drive brush fire believe to be human caused

    NE W INFORMATION: High Drive brush fire believe to be human caused

    Wednesday, July 30 2014 1:09 AM EDT2014-07-30 05:09:20 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- Tuesday evening the Spokane Fire department announced they had a likely cause for the High Drive brush fire: humans. The fire broke out Monday afternoon about 3pm on the west side of Spokane's South Hill between Squelch Golf Course and High Drive. By 6pm it had grown to 30 acres and moved to within 75 yards of several homes on High Drive.
    More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash.- Tuesday evening the Spokane Fire department announced they had a likely cause for the High Drive brush fire: humans. The fire broke out Monday afternoon about 3pm on the west side of Spokane's South Hill between Squelch Golf Course and High Drive. By 6pm it had grown to 30 acres and moved to within 75 yards of several homes on High Drive.

    More >>
  • A good problem to have: Carlton Complex no longer accepting donated goods

    A good problem to have: Carlton Complex no longer accepting donated goods

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:38 PM EDT2014-07-30 03:38:00 GMT
    OKANOGAN COUNTY, Wash.- The people in charge at the Carlton Complex wildfires in Okanogan County say they can no longer accept any donated goods. The problem, they say, is that so many people donated so much that they simply ran out of room.More >>
    OKANOGAN COUNTY, Wash.- The people in charge at the Carlton Complex wildfires in Okanogan County say they can no longer accept any donated goods. The problem, they say, is that so many people donated so much that they simply ran out of room.More >>
  • Boat explodes in Bayview, Idaho when owner tries to start it

    Boat explodes in Bayview, Idaho when owner tries to start it

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:48 PM EDT2014-07-30 01:48:25 GMT
    BAYVIEW, Idaho- On Tuesday just before 2pm, the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office was called to MacDonald’s Hudson Bay Resort in Bayview for a boat exploded.More >>
    BAYVIEW, Idaho- On Tuesday just before 2pm, the Kootenai County Sheriff’s Office was called to MacDonald’s Hudson Bay Resort in Bayview for a boat exploded.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.