UPDATE: Woman Dies After Mobile Home Explosion In Chattaroy - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Woman Dies After Mobile Home Explosion In Chattaroy

Posted: Updated:
UPDATE: From Alex Rozier: The woman who was injured in the mobile home explosion in Chattaroy has died. We'll post more details as we get them.


UPDATE: Harborview Medical Center officials in Seattle has confirmed that 51-year-old Mike Asselin died following a home explosion in Chattaroy. Asselin was suspected of domestic violence in the incident and detectives think the explosion was intentional.

His wife, the victim, remains at Harborview in Seattle and the family tells us she is still unable to speak.

The couple has been separated but the wife went to bring Mike medication because he needed it, the family told KHQ's Alex Rozier. When she brought the medication that is when the mobile home exploded.

52% of the victim's body was burned in the explosion on Wednesday.


CHATTAROY, Wash. - We continue to learn new information about Wednesday's home explosion in Chattaroy that sent two people to Harborview in Seattle with severe burns. Detectives believe this was a domestic violence case and that the explosion was premeditated. On Thursday morning we spoke with the mother of the victim.

She said the couple was going through a divorce but the man involved said he needed medicine so the woman went over to bring some to him. When she got inside he lit a propane tank and the mobile home exploded, the mother said. She went on to say that before lighting the tank the man told her daughter "we're going to die and you're coming with." Seconds later an explosion was heard throughout the neighborhood. 

The female victim has 52% of her body burned, according to the mother. The man involved, the suspect, had 85% of his body burned and it is not known if he is going to survive at this time.

UPDATED PRESS RELEASE FROM THE SPOKANE COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE: Spokane County Sheriff's Office Major Crime detectives, Spokane County Fire District 4 and ATF investigators are conducting a criminal investigation into a fire and possible explosion at a residence located at 3110 East Chattaroy Road in North Spokane County.
On Wednesday July 17th at 5:30 p.m., Spokane County Sheriff's deputies and several Spokane County Fire District 4 personnel responded to the residence and found a 57-year-old female and a 51-year-old male severely burned and injured.
After receiving medical attention on scene, both were transported by MedStar to a local hospital.  The male was transported to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle where he is listed in critical condition.  Because the female is a possible domestic violence victim, her location is not being released at this time. 
After receiving information the explosion may have been intentionally caused, Major Crimes Detectives were called to the scene which was secured overnight. 
A family member told deputies the male and female are married but have been separated for several months.
After a search warrant is obtained, investigators and Forensics personnel will be back out at the scene collecting evidence.

On Wednesday, two people were sent to the hospital with severe burns after an explosion at a Chattaroy Mobile Home Park. Neighbors say they heard a large explosion in a single wide mobile home in the Chattaroy Valley Estates followed by a large column of fire and black smoke. 

An off duty firefighter told KHQ he heard the explosion and immediately responded while calling for help. Emergency crews on scene found a home comes lately engulfed in fire and discovered two people who were inside badly burned and being helped by neighbors. 

The man and woman who were inside at the time of the explosion were both taken to Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane before re-routed to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle with severe burns all over their bodies. 

Detectives from Spokane County's Major Crimes Unit, along with investigators from Spokane County Fire District Four are looking into what caused the explosion. Because they can not say for sure it was an accident, they are treating the area as a crime scene. Investigators will remain on scene through early Thursday morning and detectives will be back in the morning with a search warrant for what's left of the home.
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.