Starbuck Sentenced To Life In Prison Without Parole - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

FIRST ON KHQ.COM: Clay Starbuck Sentenced To Life In Prison Without Parole

Posted: Updated:
Clay Starbuck entering the courtroom on Thursday afternoon. Clay Starbuck entering the courtroom on Thursday afternoon.
SPOKANE, Wash. -

UPDATE: A Spokane County judge has sentenced Clay Starbuck to life in prison without the possibility of parole for torturing and killing his ex-wife.
    
The 48-year-old Deer Park man was convicted by a jury last month and sentenced on Thursday.
    
Starbuck was convicted of killing 42-year-old Chanin Starbuck in December 2011 and sexually violating her remains. She was the mother of five children.
    
Her body was discovered in her home on Dec. 3, 2011, posed in a sexually suggestive manner.
    
Prosecutors contended Clay Starbuck was a jealous, greedy, angry man who took out his frustrations on his ex-wife.
    
Defense attorneys argued that any DNA that linked Starbuck to the scene remained from when he lived in the home. Clay Starbuck says he plans to appeal his conviction.

After testimony from Clay Starbuck's former in-laws as well as his children and other family members, Judge Greg Sypolt gave the sentence and included an order requested by prosecutors that Starbuck could not have contact with his three minor children.

PREVIOUS STORY:

Today Clay Starbuck will find out how long he will spend in prison. Starbuck's sentencing is scheduled for 1:30 this afternoon.

Last month a jury convicted Starbuck of murdering his ex-wife Chanin Starbuck. Spokane County Sheriff's deputies found the body of Chanin Starbuck in her Deer Park home in December of 2011.

Clay Starbuck is not only charged with her murder, but he was charged with sexually violating her remains.

According to court documents, Starbuck is recommended to serve life in prison without the possibility of parole.

KHQ.com will stream the sentencing LIVE as it happens.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:30:33 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.More >>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.More >>
  • Progress being made on power outages

    Progress being made on power outages

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:30:01 GMT
    As of 11:00am Friday, there are just less than 15,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 6,125 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>More >>
    As of 11:00am Friday, there are just less than 15,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 6,125 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>More >>
  • 50 children from Mexican border taken to Oregon; 211 in Washington

    50 children from Mexican border taken to Oregon; 211 in Washington

    Friday, July 25 2014 4:34 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:34:20 GMT
    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Federal officials say 50 immigrant children are being relocated from the Mexican border to Oregon, and Gov. John Kitzhaber says they are welcome. Kitzhaber says the state will continue to welcome children fleeing hardship and violence while waiting for Congress to change immigration policies.More >>
    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Federal officials say 50 immigrant children are being relocated from the Mexican border to Oregon, and Gov. John Kitzhaber says they are welcome. Kitzhaber says the state will continue to welcome children fleeing hardship and violence while waiting for Congress to change immigration policies.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.