YAKIMA, Wash. - Yakima firefighters say a smoke detector easily saved the lives of a family when their mobile home caught fire.
Firefighters say smoke charred the mobile home on the 1400 block of E. Race Street early Thursday morning when an electrical chord from a swamp cooler overheated.
When the family heard the fire alarm go off, the mother and father got their four children out safely. They were also able to put some water onto the flames, ultimately preventing a more significant fire.
"It sounds cliché, but smoke detectors save lives. We have been saying it for years" said Battalion Chief Mitch Cole.
Firefighters say smoke damaged most of the house, and the fire damaged the window and one wall of the master bedroom.
Friday, December 6 2013 8:09 PM EST2013-12-07 01:09:02 GMT
The United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Washington has filed a civil complaint under the False Claims Act against Washington Closure Hanford LLC.More >>
The United States Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Washington has filed a civil complaint under the False Claims Act alleging that Washington Closure Hanford LLC (WCH) and others falsely claimed credit for awarding tens of millions of dollars-worth of federal subcontracting business to small businesses including woman-owned small businesses.More >>