Motion Filed To Allow Clay Starbuck To See His Three Young Kids - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Motion Filed To Allow Clay Starbuck To See His Three Young Kids

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, Wash. – Clay Starbuck's defense attorneys filed a motion Wednesday at the Spokane County Courthouse asking the judge to drop the no-contact order between Starbuck and his three youngest children that was upheld at his sentencing last week.

"The law does not allow for that," defense attorney Derek Reid told KHQ, adding that it would only make sense if the three children were victims of the crime in a legal sense, which they are not.

Starbuck was convicted in the 2011 murder of his ex-wife, Chanin Starbuck, in June and was sentenced to life in prison without parole last Thursday.

Throughout the course of the trial, Starbuck wasn't allowed to have contact with any of his five children, because they were called as witnesses in the case by the state.  However, that order was lifted for his two adult children when he was convicted.

Reid says they understood the order would also be lifted for the three younger children at Starbuck's sentencing; however, the state asked to uphold it and the judge agreed.

Throughout the sentencing, Clay Starbuck remained calm – except on this one issue.

"[The prosecutor] surprised us today," he told the court.  "We've been expecting the three minor children to be able to visit with me and now in the 11th hour people are trying to make a run to stop that, so I hope you'll take that into consideration."

The motion filed Wednesday says the no-contact order "interferes with Mr. Starbuck's fundamental right to parent," and goes on to say the issue is not the business of a sentencing court, but rather a "family and juvenile court" to decide.

It also cites other case law in which people convicted of crimes have been allowed to see their children, including Mary Kay Letourneau, the Burien, Washington, teacher who was convicted of rape after having a sexual relationship with her 12-year-old student.

"I did prepare several pages to speak about today but this is not the time or place to debate these issues," Clay Starbuck said at his sentencing.  "We're looking forward to a successful appeal and being able to get all the pertinent evidence admitted into court in a fair trial."

That appeal should be filed in the next week or two.  Then, it will be up to a Court of Appeals to decide whether Starbuck's murder conviction stands, or if an error was made during the proceedings that impacted his right to a fair trial, in which case he'd get a new trial.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Spokane Police Respond To Shots Fired Early Saturday Morning

    Spokane Police Respond To Shots Fired Early Saturday Morning

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:46 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:46:42 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash.- An investigation is underway into shots fired in two separate places early Saturday morning. Police say the first shooting happened on the 1600 block of East Mission. Two armed men forced their way into an apartment and the victim tried to disarm them.More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash.- An investigation is underway into shots fired in two separate places early Saturday morning. Police say the first shooting happened on the 1600 block of East Mission. Two armed men forced their way into an apartment and the victim tried to disarm them.
    More >>
  • 10 More Bodies Found Inside South Korean Ferry; Hundreds Still Missing

    10 More Bodies Found Inside South Korean Ferry; Hundreds Still Missing

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:00 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:00:36 GMT
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested. Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday. The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.More >>
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested. Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday. The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.
    More >>
  • Fallen Hero Banner Project Denied From Marching In Seafair Torchlight Parade

    Fallen Hero Banner Project Denied From Marching In Seafair Torchlight Parade

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:55 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:55:08 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - This year the Fallen Hero Banner project, which honors men and women from Washington who have died serving our country, applied to march in the Seafair Torchlight Parade in Seattle. However, the organization was denied by the parade selection committee via email saying, "the Fallen Hero Banner Project was not the right fit for the Torchlight Parade."More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - This year the Fallen Hero Banner project, which honors men and women from Washington who have died serving our country, applied to march in the Seafair Torchlight Parade in Seattle. However, the organization was denied by the parade selection committee via email saying, "the Fallen Hero Banner Project was not the right fit for the Torchlight Parade."More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.