Ariel Castro Has Agreed To A Plea Deal, Will Get Life Plus 1,000 - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Ariel Castro Has Agreed To A Plea Deal, Will Get Life Plus 1,000 Years In Prison

Posted: Updated:

CLEVELAND (AP) - A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has agreed to plead guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.

Ariel Castro is entering the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors said the 53-year-old Castro would be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.

Castro had been charged in a 977-count indictment.

He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.

The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004, when they were 14, 16 and 20 years old. Each said they had accepted a ride from Castro.

They escaped Castro's house May 6 when one kicked out part of a door and called to neighbors for help. Castro was arrested within hours and has remained behind bars.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Just when you think you've heard everything: Man rescued from flagpole

    Just when you think you've heard everything: Man rescued from flagpole

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 6:33 PM EDT2014-07-29 22:33:53 GMT
    Courtesy NBC Right NowCourtesy NBC Right Now
    YAKIMA, Wash.- A man in Yakima is doing okay now after firefighters rescued him from a 30 foot flag pole Monday afternoon. Firefighters said the man was working on the flag pole which is on the roof of the William O Douglas building. The building is three stories tall.More >>
    YAKIMA, Wash.- A man in Yakima is doing okay now after firefighters rescued him from a 30 foot flag pole Monday afternoon. Firefighters said the man was working on the flag pole which is on the roof of the William O Douglas building. The building is three stories tall.More >>
  • Burnout for Carlton Complex canceled due to winds

    Burnout for Carlton Complex canceled due to winds

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:08 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:08:18 GMT
    UPDATE: WINTHROP, Wash. (AP) - Erratic winds have forced crews to cancel a burnout operation that was planned Tuesday near the Carlton Complex wildfire to deprive it of fuel.Crews planned to send flames from a secure fire line on the northeast side of the Carlton Complex back toward the main fire, through rugged terrain that they had been unable to attack directly.More >>
    UPDATE: WINTHROP, Wash. (AP) - Erratic winds have forced crews to cancel a burnout operation that was planned Tuesday near the Carlton Complex wildfire to deprive it of fuel.Crews planned to send flames from a secure fire line on the northeast side of the Carlton Complex back toward the main fire, through rugged terrain that they had been unable to attack directly.More >>
  • Washington ferry with hundreds aboard loses power

    Washington ferry with hundreds aboard loses power

    Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:01 PM EDT2014-07-29 21:01:23 GMT
    SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry carrying hundreds of passengers on the Washington State Ferry system's busiest route has lost power. Ferry spokeswoman Marta Coursey says the Tacoma on the Seattle to Bainbridge Island run lost propulsion Tuesday afternoon. She said the vessel, carrying 405 passengers and 138 cars, had dropped anchor and was stable in the water.More >>
    SEATTLE (AP) - A ferry carrying hundreds of passengers on the Washington State Ferry system's busiest route has lost power. Ferry spokeswoman Marta Coursey says the Tacoma on the Seattle to Bainbridge Island run lost propulsion Tuesday afternoon. She said the vessel, carrying 405 passengers and 138 cars, had dropped anchor and was stable in the water.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.