UPDATE: Wildfire Near Wenatchee Covers 66 Square Miles - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Wildfire Near Wenatchee Covers 66 Square Miles

Posted: Updated:

WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) - Better mapping of the wildfire burning near Wenatchee shows it has covered about 66 square miles.
    
A spokeswoman for fire managers, Karen Ripley, told KPQ Tuesday the fire is moving south and evacuations may be recommended for some people living in Kittitas County. She says evacuations may be lifted for some areas in Chelan County where the fire has passed.

PREVIOUS STORY:

WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) - A wildfire burning south of Wenatchee in the Colockum Pass area west of the Columbia River has grown to about 31 square miles.
    
Fire spokeswoman Karen Ripley reported on Monday the fire has burned three homes and several outbuildings since breaking out Saturday. About 60 residences have been evacuated.
    
Roads to the fire area, from both Kittitas and Chelan counties are closed. The fire is only about 5 percent contained and officials expect it to continue to grow.
    
Firefighters are working on improving containment lines on the north and west ends of the fire. About 300 people are working on the fire, with assistance from multiple helicopters.
    
About 40 homes are threatened in the area about 20 miles from Wenatchee. Residents have been evacuated and the Red Cross has set up a shelter at a church in the city.

PREVIOUS STORY:

WENATCHEE, Wash. (AP) - A wildfire fire burning south of Wenatchee in the Colockum Pass area has burned five houses since breaking out Saturday.
    
A spokesman for fire managers, Rick Issackson, tells KPQ the five homes lost are in addition to other structures destroyed in the fire that has burned more than 10 square miles.
    
About 40 homes are threatened in the area about 20 miles from Wenatchee. Residents have been evacuated and the Red Cross has set up a shelter at a church in the city.
 

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    South Hill man gives deputy ride to chase down suspect on the run

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:10 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:10:59 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane County Sheriff's Deputies are calling a 79-year-old man a hero for stepping in to help a deputy when he suddenly needed it.   That deputy tried stopping a driver on the South Hill after noticing the car didn't have license plates.     It started a chase that ended with the help from a very unlikely place. For Paul Eminger, it was a case of being in the right place at the right time. Seeing a Sheriff's Deputy running after 

    More >>
  • Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    Saturday, September 23 2017 2:09 AM EDT2017-09-23 06:09:41 GMT
    Fire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabinFire Marshal: Fireplace sparked fatal fire at Idaho cabin

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>

    BOISE, Idaho (AP) - The Idaho state fire marshal says an explosion in a fireplace caused a fire that consumed a house and killed four people. Knute Sandahl said Thursday the explosion, which occurred June 30 at Tamarack Resort, was ruled accidental. Sandahl says the fireplace on the main floor of the home was converted from propane-fueled to wood-burning in 2015. During the conversion to wood, the propane line that fed the fireplace was 

    More >>
  • Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Local man creates system to keep guns safe from kids

    Friday, September 22 2017 9:59 PM EDT2017-09-23 01:59:50 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - "My name is Dylan Ervin, I'm a competitive shooter, a business owner, a husband and a father of two," Dylan Ervin said in a promotional video. He's re-inventing the way we lock up our guns. Ervin has been hard at work for the last four years creating the StopBox. "It's for the in-between point for when your firearm isn't in your holster or in your gun safe," Ervin said. The StopBox acts as a barrier, similar to a tumbler 

    More >>