SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. - Vehicle prowling is up in Spokane County at recreational sites. The Spokane County Sheriff's Office reports vehicle break-ins at trailheads and other recreational sites are at a five-year high. Securing your vehicle in these remote areas is essential to help keep thieves at bay. The Sheriff's Office gives the following tips to keep from becoming a victim.
1) Lock your vehicle.
2) Remove valuables and sensitive information that could make you vulnerable to identity theft.
3) Remove your garage door opener and GPS. Thieves can use the garage door opener as a key to your home.
4) Don't advertise expensive stereo equipment with stickers on your windows.
5) Consider a security alarm and do advertise with stickers to ward off thieves.
6) Record valuables' serial numbers to help track them down if they are stolen.