US Signals Readiness To Strike Syria - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

US Signals Readiness To Strike Syria

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House says any military action against Syria will be limited, and won't be aimed at forcing Bashar Assad from power.
    
The administration is getting ready to declare formally that chemical weapons have been used in Syria's civil war. And White House spokesman Jay Carney says it would be "preposterous" to suggest that anyone other than the Syrian government was responsible for last week's attack.
    
The White House says President Barack Obama hasn't yet settled on what action to take in response to the use of deadly gases -- a development that Obama had said last year would cross a red line. But Carney says, "The options we are considering are not about regime change."
    
Officials had planned to release an intelligence report today that would more formally link Assad to the attack, but that release now appears to have been pushed back until later in the week.
    
The U.S. and allies in Europe appear to be laying the groundwork for the most aggressive response since Syria's civil war began more than two years ago. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said today that U.S. military forces stand ready to strike Syria at once if Obama gives the order.

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Hamas agrees to 24-hour holiday truce in Gaza war

    Hamas agrees to 24-hour holiday truce in Gaza war

    Sunday, July 27 2014 10:36 AM EDT2014-07-27 14:36:04 GMT
    GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas says it has agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in the Gaza war ahead of a major Muslim holiday. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the truce would go into effect at 2 p.m. Sunday. The three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, which caps the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, is expected to begin Monday or Tuesday, depending on the sighting of the new moon.More >>
    GAZA CITY, Gaza Strip (AP) - Hamas says it has agreed to a 24-hour humanitarian truce in the Gaza war ahead of a major Muslim holiday. Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the truce would go into effect at 2 p.m. Sunday. The three-day Eid al-Fitr holiday, which caps the Muslim fasting month of Ramadan, is expected to begin Monday or Tuesday, depending on the sighting of the new moon.More >>
  • Dutch: 1st victim identified from Flight 17

    Dutch: 1st victim identified from Flight 17

    Saturday, July 26 2014 5:55 PM EDT2014-07-26 21:55:02 GMT
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The Dutch government says the first victim has been identified from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster.The name and sex of the victim, a Dutch national, weren't released. The government said Saturday the next of kin and mayor of the victim's hometown have been informed.More >>
    THE HAGUE, Netherlands (AP) - The Dutch government says the first victim has been identified from the Malaysia Airlines Flight 17 disaster.The name and sex of the victim, a Dutch national, weren't released. The government said Saturday the next of kin and mayor of the victim's hometown have been informed.More >>
  • 3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce

    3 rockets hit Israel as Hamas rejects Gaza truce

    Saturday, July 26 2014 5:19 PM EDT2014-07-26 21:19:11 GMT
    JERUSALEM (AP) - The Israeli military says three rockets have been fired from Gaza at Israel despite a proposed extension of a humanitarian truce in the Gaza war.Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group rejected Israel's proposal to extend an original 12-hour lull by four hours, until midnight Saturday.More >>
    JERUSALEM (AP) - The Israeli military says three rockets have been fired from Gaza at Israel despite a proposed extension of a humanitarian truce in the Gaza war.Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri said the group rejected Israel's proposal to extend an original 12-hour lull by four hours, until midnight Saturday.More >>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • $100 million response plan launching after 729 Ebola related deaths

    $100 million response plan launching after 729 Ebola related deaths

    Friday, August 1 2014 12:07 PM EDT2014-08-01 16:07:01 GMT
    CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) - Presidents from the West African countries hit by the Ebola outbreak are meeting with world health leaders to come up with ways to stop the spread of the deadly disease. The World Health Organization said Friday it is launching a new joint $100 million response plan to the outbreak that has killed at least 729 people in four countries.More >>
    CONAKRY, Guinea (AP) - Presidents from the West African countries hit by the Ebola outbreak are meeting with world health leaders to come up with ways to stop the spread of the deadly disease. The World Health Organization said Friday it is launching a new joint $100 million response plan to the outbreak that has killed at least 729 people in four countries.More >>
  • Otter attacks swimmers in Washington river

    Otter attacks swimmers in Washington river

    Friday, August 1 2014 11:53 AM EDT2014-08-01 15:53:58 GMT
    MACHIAS, Wash. (AP) - A river otter attacked an 8-year-old boy and his grandmother as they were swimming in the Pilchuck River at a park in the Snohomish County town of Machias. The boy's mother, Tabitha Moser, told KING that she saw the 4-foot otter attack her son Thursday morning at Lake Connor Park. She says her mother saved him.More >>
    MACHIAS, Wash. (AP) - A river otter attacked an 8-year-old boy and his grandmother as they were swimming in the Pilchuck River at a park in the Snohomish County town of Machias. The boy's mother, Tabitha Moser, told KING that she saw the 4-foot otter attack her son Thursday morning at Lake Connor Park. She says her mother saved him.
    More >>
  • Flash-bang grenade injured E. Idaho boys

    Flash-bang grenade injured E. Idaho boys

    Friday, August 1 2014 10:47 AM EDT2014-08-01 14:47:07 GMT
    UPDATE: IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) - Authorities in eastern Idaho say the object found by two 14-year-old boys in Rigby that exploded and severed one boy's hand was a type of flash-bang grenade not available to civilians and discontinued years ago.More >>
    UPDATE: IDAHO FALLS, Idaho (AP) - Authorities in eastern Idaho say the object found by two 14-year-old boys in Rigby that exploded and severed one boy's hand was a type of flash-bang grenade not available to civilians and discontinued years ago.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.