ODOT to Activate Traffic Signal at New Pendleton Hospital
PENDELTON, Ore. - The Oregon Department of Transportation will turn on a new traffic signal on U.S. 395 near St. Anthony Hospital next week.
The new signal at the intersection of Southgate and the new S.W. 37th Street extension will activate September 5th. It's one of many road enhancements crews have installed to help keep traffic moving safely and efficiently.
ODOT says drivers should watch for the new signal and be prepared for other traffic changes in the area, listed below.
· Closing off the southern connection of Southgate Place with U.S. 395: The sub-standard, diagonal connection of Southgate Place to U.S. 395 will be closed, with the street ending in a cul-de-sac. Motorists will connect to U.S. 395 via the new signalized intersection at S.W. 37th Street. An emergency access gate will be installed and kept closed except in case of an emergency evacuation of the area.
· Removal of traffic signal at northern intersection of Southgate Place and U.S. 395: With the new signal installed at the intersection of S.W. 37th Street (road extension), the signal at Southgate Place is no longer needed. Motorists needing access to U.S. 395 from this area should use the new S.W. 37th Street signalized intersection.
· Addition of new sidewalk: Sidewalks have been constructed to improve pedestrian safety at the new intersection and along the road leading to the hospital. ODOT is also planning a future sidewalk project to complete the west side of Southgate from S.W. Perkins Ave. to Les Schwab Tires.
· School bus route/traffic changes for connections to/from U.S. 395 near new signal:
- From side streets: Traffic entering U.S. 395/Southgate should use signalized intersections.
- From U.S. 395 to Southgate Place: Southbound traffic from U.S. 395 can use the dedicated right turn lane onto Southgate Place (northern connection), or use signalized intersection at S.W. 37th; Northbound traffic should use the dedicated left turn lane at the signalized intersection at S.W. 37th
· New road to hospital, St. Anthony Way: This roadway will open to the public when the new St. Anthony Hospital opens.