Hearing Postponed For Foul-Mouthed Chief - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Hearing Postponed For Foul-Mouthed Chief

Posted: Updated:

GILBERTON, Pa. (AP) - A northeastern Pennsylvania police chief has been placed on indefinite suspension for online videos in which he fired borough-owned automatic weapons while shouting obscenities.
    
The Gilberton Borough Council voted Friday night to extend Chief Mark Kessler's unpaid suspension indefinitely.
    
Kessler's disciplinary hearing had been planned for Friday but was postponed because of a scheduling conflict. He said he expected his suspension would be extended.
    
Kessler's pro-gun videos have garnered hundreds of thousands of views online. They show him shouting about the Second Amendment and liberals while spraying gun fire.
    
THIS IS A BREAKING NEWS UPDATE. Check back soon for further information. AP's earlier story is below.
    
A northeastern Pennsylvania police chief suspended for posting videos in which he fired borough-owned automatic weapons while shouting obscenities will wait a little longer to learn his fate.
    
Chief Mark Kessler's disciplinary hearing had been planned for Friday, but was postponed because of a scheduling conflict, said his attorney, Joseph Nahas. He said it will most likely be held next week.
    
Nahas and Kessler himself have both said they expect the chief to be fired.
    
Kessler's pro-gun videos have garnered hundreds of thousands of views online. They show him shouting about the Second Amendment and liberals while spraying machine-gun fire.
    
Kessler acknowledges the videos are incendiary but says they are designed to draw attention to what he views as the erosion of Second Amendment and other constitutional rights.
    
Friday was supposed to be the last day of Kessler's 30-day suspension over what the Gilberton council has said was unauthorized use of the weapons. Nahas said Kessler has agreed that his suspension will be extended.
    
Civil servants facing termination are entitled to a due-process hearing at which they are permitted to respond to the accusations against them.
    
Gilberton borough council had been scheduled to meet Friday night, and a decision on the chief's fate had been widely expected. Because Kessler's hearing was postponed, that decision will have to wait.
    
"The meeting is going to take place, but because there was no meeting this morning, there are going to be different items on the agenda," John Dean, an attorney for the borough, said Friday afternoon.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Home Depot investigating potential credit and debit card breach

    Home Depot investigating potential credit and debit card breach

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 5:10 PM EDT2014-09-02 21:10:56 GMT
    Home improvement retailer Home Depot says it may be the latest victim of a massive credit card security breach. The Atlanta-based company confirmed Tuesday that it is looking into "unusual activity" and it's working with both banks and law enforcement.More >>
    Home improvement retailer Home Depot says it may be the latest victim of a massive credit card security breach. The Atlanta-based company confirmed Tuesday that it is looking into "unusual activity" and it's working with both banks and law enforcement.More >>
  • US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,202

    US military deaths in Afghanistan at 2,202

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 4:24 PM EDT2014-09-02 20:24:36 GMT
    KHQ.COM - As of Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014, at least 2,202 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count.More >>
    KHQ.COM - As of Tuesday, Sept. 2, 2014, at least 2,202 members of the U.S. military had died in Afghanistan as a result of the U.S.-led invasion of Afghanistan in late 2001, according to an Associated Press count. The AP count is three less than the Defense Department's tally, last updated Tuesday at 10 a.m. EDT.More >>
  • Video released by ISIS shows beheading of US journalist

    Video released by ISIS shows beheading of US journalist

    Tuesday, September 2 2014 2:14 PM EDT2014-09-02 18:14:48 GMT
    BEIRUT (AP) - An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group. More >>
    BEIRUT (AP) - An Internet video purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff by the Islamic State group. Sotloff, who freelanced for Time and Foreign Policy magazines, had last been seen in Syrian in August 2013 until he appeared in a video released online last month by the Islamic State group that showed the beheading of fellow American journalist James Foley.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.