Kerry: US Has Evidence Sarin Gas Was Used In Syria - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Kerry: US Has Evidence Sarin Gas Was Used In Syria

Posted: Updated:

WASHINGTON (AP) - Secretary of State John Kerry is asserting the United States now has evidence of sarin gas use in Syria and says the "case is building" for a military attack.

A day after President Barack Obama stepped back from his threat to launch an attack, Kerry says in a series of interviews on the Sunday news shows that the administration learned of the sarin use through samples of hair and blood provided to Washington by first responders in Damascus.
    
Kerry also says confident that Congress will give Obama its backing for a military strike against Syria. But the former senator also says the president has authority to act on his own if Congress doesn't give its approval.
    
Congress is scheduled to return from a summer break on Sept. 9.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Police say death toll in Barcelona now at 13

    Police say death toll in Barcelona now at 13

    Thursday, August 17 2017 3:19 PM EDT2017-08-17 19:19:20 GMT

    BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Spain's royal palace has condemned the deadly van attack in Barcelona, calling the perpetrators "assassins, simply criminals who will not terrorize us." A speeding van struck pedestrians in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 50 others.

    More >>

    BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Spain's royal palace has condemned the deadly van attack in Barcelona, calling the perpetrators "assassins, simply criminals who will not terrorize us." A speeding van struck pedestrians in Barcelona's Las Ramblas district, killing at least 13 people and injuring more than 50 others.

    More >>
  • Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

    Court documents in fatal downtown Spokane shooting: 'Oh my God, I thought the safety was on'

    Thursday, August 17 2017 1:59 PM EDT2017-08-17 17:59:47 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard. 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - The 16-year-old boy who police believe shot and killed a man inside a car in downtown Spokane this week thought the safety of the gun was on, according to newly released court documents.  Spokane Police were called to a reported shooting in downtown on Tuesday near Washington and Spokane Falls Boulevard. 

    More >>
  • Settlement reached in ACLU lawsuit against CIA interrogation

    Thursday, August 17 2017 11:44 AM EDT2017-08-17 15:44:04 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union against two psychologists involved in designing the CIA's harsh interrogation program used in the war on terror. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed Thursday. Trial had been scheduled for Sept. 5 in federal court in Spokane, Washington. 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A settlement has been reached in a lawsuit brought by the American Civil Liberties Union against two psychologists involved in designing the CIA's harsh interrogation program used in the war on terror. Terms of the settlement were not disclosed Thursday. Trial had been scheduled for Sept. 5 in federal court in Spokane, Washington. 

    More >>