Family Claims Body Of Ohio Kidnapper Ariel Castro - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Family Claims Body Of Ohio Kidnapper Ariel Castro

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A coroner says the body of Cleveland kidnapper Ariel Castro has been claimed by his family as authorities continue to investigate how a man who was perhaps Ohio's most notorious inmate managed to commit suicide while under close supervision in prison.
    
Franklin County Coroner Jan Worniak says the family picked up Castro's body Friday.
    
The 53-year-old Castro was a month into a life sentence for the kidnapping, rape and decade-long imprisonment of three women in his home when he committed suicide Tuesday night. The former school bus driver had been taken off suicide watch while in county jail.
    
Castro said in a videotaped FBI interrogation that aired on NBC's "Today" show Friday that police missed many opportunities to capture him.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters hurt

    Ice bucket challenge goes awry, firefighters hurt

    Friday, August 22 2014 4:50 PM EDT2014-08-22 20:50:01 GMT
    CAMPBELLSVILLE, Ky. - A charity stunt that has grown into a social media phenomenon went terribly wrong for four Kentucky firefighters who were injured when a fire truck's ladder got too close to a power line after they dumped water on college students who were taking part in an "ice bucket challenge."More >>
    CAMPBELLSVILLE, Ky. - A charity stunt that has grown into a social media phenomenon went terribly wrong for four Kentucky firefighters who were injured when a fire truck's ladder got too close to a power line after they dumped water on college students who were taking part in an "ice bucket challenge."More >>
  • Investigators: Pentagon broke the law in swap for Sgt. Bergdahl

    Investigators: Pentagon broke the law in swap for Sgt. Bergdahl

    Thursday, August 21 2014 4:08 PM EDT2014-08-21 20:08:21 GMT
    KHQ.COM- Congressional investigators say the Pentagon broke the law when it swapped five Taliban leaders for Idaho native Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. The nonpartisan Government Accountability Office says the Defense Department's failure to notify the relevant congressional committees at least 30 days in advance of the exchange broke the law.More >>
    KHQ.COM- Congressional investigators say the Pentagon broke the law when it swapped five Taliban leaders for Idaho native Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl. The nonpartisan Government Accountability Office says the Defense Department's failure to notify the relevant congressional committees at least 30 days in advance of the exchange broke the law.More >>
  • Doctor: No health risk from 2 US Ebola patients

    Doctor: No health risk from 2 US Ebola patients

    Thursday, August 21 2014 1:55 PM EDT2014-08-21 17:55:21 GMT
    ATLANTA - A doctor at the hospital that treated two American aid workers who were infected with the deadly Ebola virus in Africa says their discharge poses no public health risk.More >>
    ATLANTA - A doctor at the hospital that treated two American aid workers who were infected with the deadly Ebola virus in Africa says their discharge poses no public health risk. Officials announced the release of Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol on Thursday. Brantly left Emory University Hospital on Thursday. Writebol left Tuesday. Family and officials say they're free of the virus. More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.