Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

'I KILLED A MAN:' Man Who Made DUI Confession On YouTube Sentenced To 6½ Years

Posted: Updated:

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - A judge has sentenced an Ohio man to 6½ years in prison for causing a fatal wrong-way crash after a night of heavy drinking, which the man confessed to in an online video.
   
Franklin County Judge David Fais (feyes) sentenced 22-year-old Matthew Cordle on Wednesday to six years for aggravated vehicular homicide and six months for driving under the influence of alcohol. He also revoked his driving privileges for life as required by state law.
   
Cordle had faced up to 8½ years for killing Vincent Canzani in a June 22 crash. He had been on his way home after a night of drinking at bars near downtown Columbus.
   
Cordle confessed to the crime and promised to plead guilty in an online video Sept. 3 that has been viewed more than 2.3 million times.
   
He had been in jail since his guilty plea last month.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

PREVIOUS STORY:

KHQ.COM - An Ohio man posted a brutally honest and emotional video on YouTube admitting that he drove drunk and killed a man when he entered a freeway going the wrong way.

Matthew Cordle, 22, says this video will serve as his confession and he is ready to take full responsibility for what he did.

He hopes his story will make others think twice before getting behind the wheel while intoxicated.

Cordle could spend 8 years in prison for DUI death.

Here is the transcript of what he said:

"I killed a man. I was out with some friends, we were all drinking really heavily. Just hopping from bar to bar...just trying to have a good time and I lost control.  

You know, sometimes I drink because I have depression that I struggle with every day. And...I just drink to get out of my head for a few hours.

You know...I really don't like the person I become when I drink. I've ruined relationships in the past...I start fights....you know...I just generally become the person that people don't like being around.  

On that particular night, I made a mistake and got in my truck. I completely blacked out and just started to try to drive home. I ended up going the wrong way down the highway...directly into oncoming traffic and I struck a car.

I killed a man.  

Immediately following that, I consulted some high powered attorneys who told me stories about similar cases where the drivers got off. They were convinced I could get my blood tests thrown out and all I would have to do for that was lie.

Well I won't go down that path.  

My name is Matthew Cordle, and on June 22, 2013, I hit and killed Vincent Canzani.

This video will act as my confession.  

When I get charged, I will plead guilty and take full responsibility for everything I have done to Vincent and his family.

If I took a different route, MAYBE I would get a reduced sentence and MAYBE I would get off...But I won't dishonor Vincent's memory by lying about what happened.

By releasing this video I know exactly what it means. I'm handing the prosecution everything they need to put me away for a very long time...but I'm willing to take that sentence for just one reason.

And that reason is so I could pass this message on to you.

I beg you...and I say the word "BEG" specifically...I'm begging you...please don't drink and drive.

Don't make the same excuses I did.

Don't say it's only a few miles or you've only had a few beers...or you do it all the time....it will never happen to you. Because it happened to me and all of those are just excuses to make yourself feel better about a decision you know is wrong and could cost lives.

I can't bring Mr. Canzani back...and I can't erase what I've done.

But you can still be saved, your victims can still be saved.

So please...make the promise to never drink and drive."

#SaveYourVictim

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Fallen Hero Banner Project Denied From Marching In Seafair Torchlight Parade

    Fallen Hero Banner Project Denied From Marching In Seafair Torchlight Parade

    Sunday, April 20 2014 3:27 PM EDT2014-04-20 19:27:07 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - This year the Fallen Hero Banner project, which honors men and women from Washington who have died serving our country, applied to march in the Seafair Torchlight Parade in Seattle. However, the organization was denied by the parade selection committee via email saying, "the Fallen Hero Banner Project was not the right fit for the Torchlight Parade."More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - This year the Fallen Hero Banner project, which honors men and women from Washington who have died serving our country, applied to march in the Seafair Torchlight Parade in Seattle. However, the organization was denied by the parade selection committee via email saying, "the Fallen Hero Banner Project was not the right fit for the Torchlight Parade."More >>
  • Utah Man Arrested In Child Enticement Sting In Idaho

    Utah Man Arrested In Child Enticement Sting In Idaho

    Sunday, April 20 2014 3:26 PM EDT2014-04-20 19:26:36 GMT
    CALDWELL, Idaho (AP) - Idaho prosecutors have charged a Utah man with felony child enticement after he allegedly arranged to meet an undercover officer representing himself online as a 15-year-old girl.Allen B. Johnson was arrested Friday afternoon at the Caldwell restaurant where authorities said the 48-year-old Provo man was to meet who he thought was the teenager.More >>
    CALDWELL, Idaho (AP) - Idaho prosecutors have charged a Utah man with felony child enticement after he allegedly arranged to meet an undercover officer representing himself online as a 15-year-old girl.Allen B. Johnson was arrested Friday afternoon at the Caldwell restaurant where authorities said the 48-year-old Provo man was to meet who he thought was the teenager.More >>
  • General Mills Scraps Controversial New Legal Terms

    General Mills Scraps Controversial New Legal Terms

    Sunday, April 20 2014 3:20 PM EDT2014-04-20 19:20:37 GMT
    BC-US--General Mills-Legal TermsGeneral Mills scraps controversial new legal termsEds: APNewsNow. Will be updated.NEW YORK (AP) - General Mills is scrapping a controversial plan to strip consumers of their right to sue the food company.The company, which owns Cheerios, Progresso and Yoplait, had posted a notice on its website notifying visitors that using the company's websites or engaging with it online in a variety of other ways meant they would have to give up their right to sue.More >>
    BC-US--General Mills-Legal TermsGeneral Mills scraps controversial new legal termsEds: APNewsNow. Will be updated.NEW YORK (AP) - General Mills is scrapping a controversial plan to strip consumers of their right to sue the food company.The company, which owns Cheerios, Progresso and Yoplait, had posted a notice on its website notifying visitors that using the company's websites or engaging with it online in a variety of other ways meant they would have to give up their right to sue.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.