Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues

Posted: Updated:
  • Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health IssuesMore>>

  • UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    Monday, September 16 2013 10:51 PM EDT2013-09-17 02:51:33 GMT
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.

     
    More >>
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead. Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect. Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old. The gunman, identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, was also killed. GET MORE DETAILS INSIDE OF THE STORY>>>More >>

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. law enforcement officials are telling The Associated Press that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
    
Aaron Alexis, 34, had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing. The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance that Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.
    
Family members told investigators that Alexis was being treated for his mental issues.

  • National NewsMore>>

  • UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    Saturday, September 13 2014 8:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 00:50:23 GMT
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
  • Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:31:35 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
  • Snoozing burglar busted by cops

    Snoozing burglar busted by cops

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:30:18 GMT
    NOKOMI, Fla. (AP) - Talk about a heavy sleeper. Police say an accused burglar stayed snoozing next to a bag of jewelry he was swiping from a home despite deputies snapping pictures of him.According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office Facebook page, a cleaning lady discovered 29-year-old Dion Davis on a bed inside.....More >>
    NOKOMI, Fla. (AP) - Talk about a heavy sleeper. Police say an accused burglar stayed snoozing next to a bag of jewelry he was swiping from a home despite deputies snapping pictures of him.According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office Facebook page, a cleaning lady discovered 29-year-old Dion Davis on a bed inside.....More >>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • UPDATE: HAZMAT Alert to Stay Indoors/ One Alternate Route Closed

    UPDATE: HAZMAT Alert to Stay Indoors/ One Alternate Route Closed

    Monday, September 15 2014 2:17 AM EDT2014-09-15 06:17:03 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - The Spokane Regional Transportation Metro Center says I-90 will remain closed at the state line until 6 tonight.Authorities told Victor Correa less than a gallon of trimethylamine gas leaked into the environment at the state line. Crews closed the road at about 1:30.More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - A hazardous material leak on I-90 is forcing people living nearby the spill to stay indoors. Right now drivers are advised to take the detour on SR290 to avoid the hazardous waste spill at the WA/ID state line.




    More >>
  • UPDATE: Fire west of Quincy now 100% contained

    UPDATE: Fire west of Quincy now 100% contained

    Sunday, September 14 2014 8:39 PM EDT2014-09-15 00:39:03 GMT
    QUINCY, Wash. - Firefights fully contained a brush fire burning west of Quincy Sunday, according to the Washington State Patrol. The brush fire started near State Route 28 Saturday afternoon. It was initially estimated to be 300 acres in size, but more accurate mapping showed it was only 211 acres in size.More >>
    QUINCY, Wash. - Firefights fully contained a brush fire burning west of Quincy Sunday, according to the Washington State Patrol. The brush fire started near State Route 28 Saturday afternoon. It was initially estimated to be 300 acres in size, but more accurate mapping showed it was only 211 acres in size.
    More >>
  • Health officials warn of Sea-Tac measles exposure

    Health officials warn of Sea-Tac measles exposure

    Sunday, September 14 2014 3:43 PM EDT2014-09-14 19:43:34 GMT
    SEATAC, Wash. (AP) - Public health officials are warning that people may have been exposed to measles at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. They say a passenger who contracted a confirmed case of the disease - likely outside the United States - was contagious when he or she was at the airport.More >>
    SEATAC, Wash. (AP) - Public health officials are warning that people may have been exposed to measles at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport. They say a passenger who contracted a confirmed case of the disease - likely outside the United States - was contagious when he or she was at the airport.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.