Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues

Posted: Updated:
  • Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health IssuesMore>>

  • UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    Monday, September 16 2013 10:51 PM EDT2013-09-17 02:51:33 GMT
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.

     
    More >>
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead. Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect. Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old. The gunman, identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, was also killed. GET MORE DETAILS INSIDE OF THE STORY>>>More >>

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. law enforcement officials are telling The Associated Press that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
    
Aaron Alexis, 34, had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing. The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance that Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.
    
Family members told investigators that Alexis was being treated for his mental issues.

  • National NewsMore>>

  • BREAKING UPDATE: Nearly 300 Missing In Ferry Disaster; Most Of The Passengers Are High School Students

    BREAKING UPDATE: Nearly 300 Missing In Ferry Disaster; Most Of The Passengers Are High School Students

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 1:17 PM EDT2014-04-16 17:17:03 GMT
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - Officials in South Korea say nearly 300 people are still missing several hours after a ferry sank in the cold waters off the country's southern coast. At least two people are confirmed dead, but there are fears of a much bigger death toll as dozens of boats, helicopters and divers continue to search for survivors.More >>
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - Officials in South Korea say nearly 300 people are still missing several hours after a ferry sank in the cold waters off the country's southern coast. At least two people are confirmed dead, but there are fears of a much bigger death toll as dozens of boats, helicopters and divers continue to search for survivors.
    More >>
  • UPDATE: Biden: Boston Marathon Survivors Are Inspiration

    UPDATE: Biden: Boston Marathon Survivors Are Inspiration

    Tuesday, April 15 2014 2:21 PM EDT2014-04-15 18:21:34 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - Vice President Joe Biden says the courage shown by Boston Marathon survivors and those who lost loved ones is an inspiration for other Americans dealing with loss and tragedy.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - Vice President Joe Biden says the courage shown by Boston Marathon survivors and those who lost loved ones is an inspiration for other Americans dealing with loss and tragedy.More >>
  • Cattle Battle: BLM To Pursue Effort To End Dispute With Rancher

    Cattle Battle: BLM To Pursue Effort To End Dispute With Rancher

    Monday, April 14 2014 10:08 AM EDT2014-04-14 14:08:14 GMT
    NEVADA, (AP) - A day after blinking in a showdown on the range, federal land managers pledged to pursue efforts to resolve a conflict with a southern Nevada rancher who has refused to pay grazing fees for 20 years. Bureau of Land Management spokesman Craig Leff said Sunday that the agency would continue to try to resolve the matter.More >>
    NEVADA, (AP) - A day after blinking in a showdown on the range, federal land managers pledged to pursue efforts to resolve a conflict with a southern Nevada rancher who has refused to pay grazing fees for 20 years. Bureau of Land Management spokesman Craig Leff said Sunday that the agency would continue to try to resolve the matter.
    More >>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • SPREAD THE NEWS: WSP Looks For Man Charged With 59 Counts Of Sexual Misconduct With Children

    SPREAD THE NEWS: WSP Looks For Man Charged With 59 Counts Of Sexual Misconduct With Children

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 3:03 PM EDT2014-04-16 19:03:03 GMT
    KHQ.COM - The Washington State Patrol’s Criminal Investigation Division has been assisting Minnesota’s Pine County Sheriff’s Office in attempts to locate a subject charged with 59 felony counts of Criminal Sexual Conduct involving two young females.More >>
    KHQ.COM - The Washington State Patrol’s Criminal Investigation Division has been assisting Minnesota’s Pine County Sheriff’s Office in attempts to locate a subject charged with 59 felony counts of Criminal Sexual Conduct involving two young females.More >>
  • UPDATE: Spirit Lake Suspicious Device Only A Toy Grenade

    UPDATE: Spirit Lake Suspicious Device Only A Toy Grenade

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 2:47 PM EDT2014-04-16 18:47:42 GMT
    UPDATE: A suspicious item discovered in a mailbox near Middle Ave. in Spirit Lake, causing evacuations in the immediate area, has turned out to just be a toy grenade, according to the Spirit Lake Police Department. SLPD and other agencies were on scene investigating the incident and a robot was used to retrieve the object out of the box.
    More >>
    UPDATE: A suspicious item discovered in a mailbox near Middle Ave. in Spirit Lake, causing evacuations in the immediate area, has turned out to just be a toy grenade, according to the Spirit Lake Police Department. SLPD and other agencies were on scene investigating the incident and a robot was used to retrieve the object out of the box.
    More >>
  • BREAKING UPDATE: Nearly 300 Missing In Ferry Disaster; Most Of The Passengers Are High School Students

    BREAKING UPDATE: Nearly 300 Missing In Ferry Disaster; Most Of The Passengers Are High School Students

    Wednesday, April 16 2014 1:17 PM EDT2014-04-16 17:17:03 GMT
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - Officials in South Korea say nearly 300 people are still missing several hours after a ferry sank in the cold waters off the country's southern coast. At least two people are confirmed dead, but there are fears of a much bigger death toll as dozens of boats, helicopters and divers continue to search for survivors.More >>
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - Officials in South Korea say nearly 300 people are still missing several hours after a ferry sank in the cold waters off the country's southern coast. At least two people are confirmed dead, but there are fears of a much bigger death toll as dozens of boats, helicopters and divers continue to search for survivors.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.