Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues

Posted: Updated:
  • Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health IssuesMore>>

  • UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    Monday, September 16 2013 10:51 PM EDT2013-09-17 02:51:33 GMT
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.

     
    More >>
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead. Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect. Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old. The gunman, identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, was also killed. GET MORE DETAILS INSIDE OF THE STORY>>>More >>

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. law enforcement officials are telling The Associated Press that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
    
Aaron Alexis, 34, had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing. The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance that Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.
    
Family members told investigators that Alexis was being treated for his mental issues.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • TSA tests screening larger electronic devices separately

    TSA tests screening larger electronic devices separately

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 6:55 PM EDT2017-05-24 22:55:23 GMT

    Travelers at some U.S. airports are being asked to place electronic devices bigger than a cellphone in separate bins so that they can be examined more closely. The Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday that it has been testing the procedure at 10 airports for more than a year, and it may be expanded nationwide. The TSA says the approach is designed to "de-clutter" carry-on bags to make it easier for screeners to examine...

    More >>

    Travelers at some U.S. airports are being asked to place electronic devices bigger than a cellphone in separate bins so that they can be examined more closely. The Transportation Security Administration said Wednesday that it has been testing the procedure at 10 airports for more than a year, and it may be expanded nationwide. The TSA says the approach is designed to "de-clutter" carry-on bags to make it easier for screeners to examine...

    More >>
  • Graco recalls 25,000 car seats because of potentially unsafe harness webbing

    Graco recalls 25,000 car seats because of potentially unsafe harness webbing

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 6:19 PM EDT2017-05-24 22:19:34 GMT
    Graco is recalling more than 25,000 car seats because the harness webbing can break in a crash and may not keep children restrained. The recall involves eight different model numbers of the "My Ride 65" Graco car seat. The seats were made on July 22, 2014 and the code 2014/06 is on a tag that's on the harness webbing. According to documents posted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), agency tests discovered the webbing strength problem. Graco ha...More >>
    Graco is recalling more than 25,000 car seats because the harness webbing can break in a crash and may not keep children restrained. The recall involves eight different model numbers of the "My Ride 65" Graco car seat. The seats were made on July 22, 2014 and the code 2014/06 is on a tag that's on the harness webbing. According to documents posted by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), agency tests discovered the webbing strength problem. Graco ha...More >>
  • PHOTOS: 'Doomsday' bunker community created in South Dakota

    PHOTOS: 'Doomsday' bunker community created in South Dakota

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 5:51 PM EDT2017-05-24 21:51:30 GMT

    EDGEMONT, South Dakota - Doomsday preppers are stepping it up a notch on their journey to surviving catastrophic destruction. They're heading to South Dakota where West River, a California-based company, is creating the largest shelter community ever made. Tucked away on hilly grass fields South of Edgemont, South Dakota, you'll find sphere-shaped bunkers covered in dirt and grass. Once you spot one, you'll quickly realize, they're everywhere.

    More >>

    EDGEMONT, South Dakota - Doomsday preppers are stepping it up a notch on their journey to surviving catastrophic destruction. They're heading to South Dakota where West River, a California-based company, is creating the largest shelter community ever made. Tucked away on hilly grass fields South of Edgemont, South Dakota, you'll find sphere-shaped bunkers covered in dirt and grass. Once you spot one, you'll quickly realize, they're everywhere.

    More >>
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Guardian Reporter alleges attack by Montana GOP hopeful

    Guardian Reporter alleges attack by Montana GOP hopeful

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:53 PM EDT2017-05-25 00:53:19 GMT

    HELENA, Mont. (AP) - A reporter for the Guardian newspaper is alleging that the Republican candidate for Montana's sole congressional seat "body slammed" him on the day before the special election. The Gallatin County Sheriff's Office says it's investigating allegations of an assault involving Greg Gianforte, a wealthy Bozeman businessman.

    More >>

    HELENA, Mont. (AP) - A reporter for the Guardian newspaper is alleging that the Republican candidate for Montana's sole congressional seat "body slammed" him on the day before the special election. The Gallatin County Sheriff's Office says it's investigating allegations of an assault involving Greg Gianforte, a wealthy Bozeman businessman.

    More >>
  • Fully extinguishing Leavenworth fire will be 'ongoing challenge'

    Fully extinguishing Leavenworth fire will be 'ongoing challenge'

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:23 PM EDT2017-05-25 00:23:23 GMT

    LEAVENWORTH, Wash. - Update: 5 p.m. Wednesday:  Fire crews report active fire fighting operations continue on the Spromberg fire located approximately four miles north of Leavenworth, Washington, along the Chumstick Highway. The fire started Tuesday afternoon in a 5-acre storage area for logs and other flammable materials. The cause remains under active investigation, but has not yet been determined.

    More >>

    LEAVENWORTH, Wash. - Update: 5 p.m. Wednesday:  Fire crews report active fire fighting operations continue on the Spromberg fire located approximately four miles north of Leavenworth, Washington, along the Chumstick Highway. The fire started Tuesday afternoon in a 5-acre storage area for logs and other flammable materials. The cause remains under active investigation, but has not yet been determined.

    More >>
  • Suspect who tried to shoot deputy with sawed-off shotgun sentenced to 160 months behind bars

    Suspect who tried to shoot deputy with sawed-off shotgun sentenced to 160 months behind bars

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 8:13 PM EDT2017-05-25 00:13:52 GMT

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Wednesday afternoon, 17-year-old Colton B. Singleton, the juvenile suspect who tried to shoot a Spokane Valley Deputy with a sawed-off shotgun in March was sentenced to 160 months in jail.  Spokane County Prosecutor's Office declined to prosecute him as a juvenile and charged him as an adult because Singleton was already a convicted felon.  On March 27, 2017, deputies responded to a car prowling on East Valleyway in Spokane Valley. 

    More >>

    SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - Wednesday afternoon, 17-year-old Colton B. Singleton, the juvenile suspect who tried to shoot a Spokane Valley Deputy with a sawed-off shotgun in March was sentenced to 160 months in jail.  Spokane County Prosecutor's Office declined to prosecute him as a juvenile and charged him as an adult because Singleton was already a convicted felon.  On March 27, 2017, deputies responded to a car prowling on East Valleyway in Spokane Valley. 

    More >>