Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues

Posted: Updated:
  • Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health IssuesMore>>

  • UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    Monday, September 16 2013 10:51 PM EDT2013-09-17 02:51:33 GMT
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.

     
    More >>
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead. Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect. Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old. The gunman, identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, was also killed. GET MORE DETAILS INSIDE OF THE STORY>>>More >>

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. law enforcement officials are telling The Associated Press that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
    
Aaron Alexis, 34, had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing. The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance that Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.
    
Family members told investigators that Alexis was being treated for his mental issues.

  • National NewsMore>>

  • UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    Saturday, September 13 2014 8:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 00:50:23 GMT
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
  • Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:31:35 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
  • Snoozing burglar busted by cops

    Snoozing burglar busted by cops

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:30:18 GMT
    NOKOMI, Fla. (AP) - Talk about a heavy sleeper. Police say an accused burglar stayed snoozing next to a bag of jewelry he was swiping from a home despite deputies snapping pictures of him.According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office Facebook page, a cleaning lady discovered 29-year-old Dion Davis on a bed inside.....More >>
    NOKOMI, Fla. (AP) - Talk about a heavy sleeper. Police say an accused burglar stayed snoozing next to a bag of jewelry he was swiping from a home despite deputies snapping pictures of him.According to the Sarasota County Sheriff's Office Facebook page, a cleaning lady discovered 29-year-old Dion Davis on a bed inside.....More >>
  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Spokane Police: Bullying video allegedly from Spokane is actually from New York

    Spokane Police: Bullying video allegedly from Spokane is actually from New York

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 4:58 PM EDT2014-09-16 20:58:49 GMT
    KHQ.COM - A video bullying video surfaced on a Spokane news organization's Facebook page on September 13th. The video shows a girl getting attacked by bullies and she looks to be in middle school or high school. The person who uploaded the video to the page had the profile name, "Stephen Burbank."More >>
    KHQ.COM - A video bullying video surfaced on a Spokane news organization's Facebook page on September 13th. The video shows a girl getting attacked by bullies and she looks to be in middle school or high school. The person who uploaded the video to the page had the profile name, "Stephen Burbank."
    More >>
  • Without honey bees food supply & economy would take big hit

    Without honey bees food supply & economy would take big hit

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 4:58 PM EDT2014-09-16 20:58:17 GMT
    KHQ.COM - Some of the world's busiest workers are honeybees. Honeybees pollinate fruit, nuts and vegetables making them responsible for pollinating 33% of the world's food according to honeybeehaven.com. What's scary, is that they are in trouble. They have been dying off since the mid-1990's all around the world.
    More >>
    KHQ.COM - Some of the world's busiest workers are honeybees. Honeybees pollinate fruit, nuts and vegetables making them responsible for pollinating 33% of the world's food according to honeybeehaven.com. What's scary, is that they are in trouble. They have been dying off since the mid-1990's all around the world.
    More >>
  • $1.5M grant to help communities hurt by Oso slide

    $1.5M grant to help communities hurt by Oso slide

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 2:03 PM EDT2014-09-16 18:03:56 GMT
    DARRINGTON, Wash. (AP) - A $1.5 million grant is on the way to help communities recover from the devastating Oso landslide in March. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is providing the money, and Snohomish County is putting together a plan for spending it.More >>
    DARRINGTON, Wash. (AP) - A $1.5 million grant is on the way to help communities recover from the devastating Oso landslide in March. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development is providing the money, and Snohomish County is putting together a plan for spending it.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.