Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues

Posted: Updated:
  • Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health IssuesMore>>

  • UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    UPDATE: 13 Dead, Including Gunman, In Navy Yard Shooting

    Monday, September 16 2013 10:51 PM EDT2013-09-17 02:51:33 GMT
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead.

     
    More >>
    WASHINGTON (AP) - D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says authorities believe there was only a lone gunman responsible for the Navy Yard shooting rampage that left 13 people dead. Authorities had earlier said they were searching for a possible second suspect. Mayor Vincent Gray says the 12 shooting victims range in age from 46 to 73 years old. The gunman, identified as 34-year-old Aaron Alexis, was also killed. GET MORE DETAILS INSIDE OF THE STORY>>>More >>

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. law enforcement officials are telling The Associated Press that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
    
Aaron Alexis, 34, had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing. The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance that Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.
    
Family members told investigators that Alexis was being treated for his mental issues.

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • National NewsMore>>

  • Colorado principal, assistant out after forced-splits video

    Colorado principal, assistant out after forced-splits video

    Friday, September 22 2017 7:57 PM EDT2017-09-22 23:57:52 GMT

    DENVER, Co. (AP) - A Colorado principal has retired and an athletic director has resigned after videos surfaced showing a high school cheerleading coach pushing cheerleaders down in splits. Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg also on Friday released a report by a law firm that the district ordered after learning about the videos in August. Officials have said the school administrators saw at least one of the videos in June and 

    More >>

    DENVER, Co. (AP) - A Colorado principal has retired and an athletic director has resigned after videos surfaced showing a high school cheerleading coach pushing cheerleaders down in splits. Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg also on Friday released a report by a law firm that the district ordered after learning about the videos in August. Officials have said the school administrators saw at least one of the videos in June and 

    More >>
  • Strahan Family opens up memorial to the public

    Strahan Family opens up memorial to the public

    Friday, September 22 2017 6:28 PM EDT2017-09-22 22:28:02 GMT

    In a media release from the Strahan family, they said: "The Strahan family invites the public to join them in a memorial service celebrating the life of their son Sam Strahan. The service starts at 2:00 pm in the University High School Gym. The family is so appreciative of the outpouring of love from so many people throughout this community. We hope everyone can join them for this celebration. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers."

    More >>

    In a media release from the Strahan family, they said: "The Strahan family invites the public to join them in a memorial service celebrating the life of their son Sam Strahan. The service starts at 2:00 pm in the University High School Gym. The family is so appreciative of the outpouring of love from so many people throughout this community. We hope everyone can join them for this celebration. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers."

    More >>
  • Mercedes-Benz agreeing to replace seat heaters after lawsuit

    Mercedes-Benz agreeing to replace seat heaters after lawsuit

    Friday, September 22 2017 6:04 PM EDT2017-09-22 22:04:06 GMT

    (AP) - A federal judge has granted preliminary approval of a lawsuit settlement requiring Mercedes-Benz to replace seat heaters in up to 270,000 SUVs. Southern California-based Judge James Selna preliminarily approved the potentially $80 million settlement on Monday. The plaintiffs argue that seat heaters in some Mercedes-Benz SUVs made between 2000 and 2007 have been known to spark or smoke. A California woman who filed the lawsuit in 2014 said her seat heater burned a hole throug...

    More >>

    (AP) - A federal judge has granted preliminary approval of a lawsuit settlement requiring Mercedes-Benz to replace seat heaters in up to 270,000 SUVs. Southern California-based Judge James Selna preliminarily approved the potentially $80 million settlement on Monday. The plaintiffs argue that seat heaters in some Mercedes-Benz SUVs made between 2000 and 2007 have been known to spark or smoke. A California woman who filed the lawsuit in 2014 said her seat heater burned a hole throug...

    More >>
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Colorado principal, assistant out after forced-splits video

    Colorado principal, assistant out after forced-splits video

    Friday, September 22 2017 7:57 PM EDT2017-09-22 23:57:52 GMT

    DENVER, Co. (AP) - A Colorado principal has retired and an athletic director has resigned after videos surfaced showing a high school cheerleading coach pushing cheerleaders down in splits. Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg also on Friday released a report by a law firm that the district ordered after learning about the videos in August. Officials have said the school administrators saw at least one of the videos in June and 

    More >>

    DENVER, Co. (AP) - A Colorado principal has retired and an athletic director has resigned after videos surfaced showing a high school cheerleading coach pushing cheerleaders down in splits. Denver Public Schools Superintendent Tom Boasberg also on Friday released a report by a law firm that the district ordered after learning about the videos in August. Officials have said the school administrators saw at least one of the videos in June and 

    More >>
  • Washington cyberstalking law on thin ice after hearing

    Washington cyberstalking law on thin ice after hearing

    Friday, September 22 2017 7:25 PM EDT2017-09-22 23:25:12 GMT

     TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - Washington's law against cyberstalking faces a dubious future after the state Attorney General's Office declined to defend its constitutionality during a federal court hearing. Lawyers for a retired Air Force major on Friday asked U.S. District Judge Ronald Leighton to block the state from enforcing the law, saying their client has been threatened with prosecution for making online posts that criticize - but don't threaten - a 

    More >>

     TACOMA, Wash. (AP) - Washington's law against cyberstalking faces a dubious future after the state Attorney General's Office declined to defend its constitutionality during a federal court hearing. Lawyers for a retired Air Force major on Friday asked U.S. District Judge Ronald Leighton to block the state from enforcing the law, saying their client has been threatened with prosecution for making online posts that criticize - but don't threaten - a 

    More >>
  • FBI: 'Double Hat Bandit' arrested after string of multi-state bank robberies

    FBI: 'Double Hat Bandit' arrested after string of multi-state bank robberies

    Friday, September 22 2017 7:11 PM EDT2017-09-22 23:11:43 GMT

    INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana - The FBI announced Friday that a serial bank robber dubbed the "Double Hat Bandit," has been arrested.  The man, who wears two hats during his crimes, is responsible for at least 13 bank robberies inside grocery stores in Washington, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Colorado. 54-year-old Shane Carson was arrested Thursday in the parking lot of a motel in Whitehead, Indiana. #Captured: Suspected "Double Hat 

    More >>

    INDIANAPOLIS, Indiana - The FBI announced Friday that a serial bank robber dubbed the "Double Hat Bandit," has been arrested.  The man, who wears two hats during his crimes, is responsible for at least 13 bank robberies inside grocery stores in Washington, Utah, Idaho, Oregon, and Colorado. 54-year-old Shane Carson was arrested Thursday in the parking lot of a motel in Whitehead, Indiana. #Captured: Suspected "Double Hat 

    More >>