Audit Critical Of Navy Security Review System - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

Audit Critical Of Navy Security Review System

Posted: Updated:
  • Audit Critical Of Navy Security Review SystemMore>>

  • Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues

    Officials: Gunman Treated For Mental Health Issues

    Tuesday, September 17 2013 10:32 AM EDT2013-09-17 14:32:21 GMT
    WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. law enforcement officials say that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues.
    More >>
    WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. law enforcement officials are telling The Associated Press that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder.More >>

WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. officials say a draft Defense Department audit criticizes one of the Navy's security review programs for lower level contractors. But that process was not the one used to evaluate the former reservist who gunned down 12 people Monday at the Washington Navy Yard.
    
Aaron Alexis, the 34-year-old information technology contractor involved in the shooting rampage, had a secret security clearance for his job. He went through a different, more extensive review.
    
The Defense Department Inspector General found that a separate system used to review some contractors did not properly vet the workers. That program is generally for contractors who don't have security clearances.
    
Officials described the audit on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss a draft report. He was granted the clearance in March 2008.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:30:33 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.More >>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.More >>
  • Progress being made on power outages

    Progress being made on power outages

    Friday, July 25 2014 6:30 PM EDT2014-07-25 22:30:01 GMT
    As of 11:00am Friday, there are just less than 15,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 6,125 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>More >>
    As of 11:00am Friday, there are just less than 15,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 6,125 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>More >>
  • 50 children from Mexican border taken to Oregon; 211 in Washington

    50 children from Mexican border taken to Oregon; 211 in Washington

    Friday, July 25 2014 4:34 PM EDT2014-07-25 20:34:20 GMT
    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Federal officials say 50 immigrant children are being relocated from the Mexican border to Oregon, and Gov. John Kitzhaber says they are welcome. Kitzhaber says the state will continue to welcome children fleeing hardship and violence while waiting for Congress to change immigration policies.More >>
    PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - Federal officials say 50 immigrant children are being relocated from the Mexican border to Oregon, and Gov. John Kitzhaber says they are welcome. Kitzhaber says the state will continue to welcome children fleeing hardship and violence while waiting for Congress to change immigration policies.
    More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.