RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado

Posted: Updated:

LONGMONT, Colo. (AP) - Colorado officials say the emergency response to the flood disaster is ending and the long and arduous task of recovery has begun.
    
Sheriff Joe Pelle said Wednesday that rescue workers are ending "high octane" search-and-rescue operations. Searchers are now going door-to-door and looking through debris piles and vehicles for victims and damage in the flood-scarred areas of the foothills.
    
Those crews include Federal Emergency Management Agency urban search-and-rescue teams with search dogs and medical supplies.
    
Lt. Col. Mitch Utterback of the Colorado National Guard says some of the helicopters flying rescue missions may be returned to Fort Carson.
    
As the airlifts taper off, so have the number of missing. State emergency officials say that number was just over 300 by Wednesday morning.
    
There have been six confirmed deaths.

PREVIOUS STORY:

LYONS, Colo. (AP) - As water recedes and flows east onto the Colorado plains rescuers are shifting their focus from emergency airlifts to trying to find the hundreds of people still unaccounted for after last week's devastating flooding.
    
Federal and state emergency officials said more than 3,000 people have been evacuated by air and ground, but calls for those emergency rescues have decreased.
    
The state's latest count has dropped to about 580 people missing, and the number continues to decrease as the stranded get in touch with families.
    
State officials reported six flood-related deaths, plus two women missing and presumed dead. The number was expected to increase. It could take weeks or even months to search through flooded areas looking for bodies.
    
State and local transportation officials are tallying the washed-out roads, collapsed bridges and twisted railroad lines.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • 10 More Bodies Found Inside South Korean Ferry; Hundreds Still Missing

    10 More Bodies Found Inside South Korean Ferry; Hundreds Still Missing

    Saturday, April 19 2014 11:00 PM EDT2014-04-20 03:00:36 GMT
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested. Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday. The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.More >>
    SEOUL, South Korea (AP) - South Korean news agency Yonhap reports that the captain of the South Korean ferry that sank two days ago has been arrested. Yonhap says 68-year-old Lee Joon-seok was detained early Saturday. The ship, the Sewol, sank Wednesday, leaving hundreds missing and feared dead.
    More >>
  • Hawaii Is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point

    Hawaii Is Genetically Engineered Crop Flash Point

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:46 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:46:34 GMT
    WAIALUA, Hawaii (AP) - You can trace the genetic makeup of most corn grown in the U.S., and in many other places around the world, to Hawaii.The industry's leading companies all have farms in the tiny island state. They take advantage of Hawaii's warm weather to grow new varieties of corn genetically engineered for desirable traits like insect and drought resistance.More >>
    WAIALUA, Hawaii (AP) - You can trace the genetic makeup of most corn grown in the U.S., and in many other places around the world, to Hawaii.The industry's leading companies all have farms in the tiny island state. They take advantage of Hawaii's warm weather to grow new varieties of corn genetically engineered for desirable traits like insect and drought resistance.More >>
  • $14M Awarded In Suit Linking Contraceptive, Stroke

    $14M Awarded In Suit Linking Contraceptive, Stroke

    Saturday, April 19 2014 10:40 PM EDT2014-04-20 02:40:38 GMT
    CHICAGO (AP) - A jury has awarded $14 million to a suburban Chicago woman who sued her doctor over a debilitating stroke she suffered after taking the birth control drug Yasmin.Lawyers for Mariola Zapalski, of Elmwood Park, say the stroke occurred 13 days after she began taking the drug, paralyzing her left side and causing permanent brain injury.More >>
    CHICAGO (AP) - A jury has awarded $14 million to a suburban Chicago woman who sued her doctor over a debilitating stroke she suffered after taking the birth control drug Yasmin.Lawyers for Mariola Zapalski, of Elmwood Park, say the stroke occurred 13 days after she began taking the drug, paralyzing her left side and causing permanent brain injury.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.