RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado

Posted: Updated:

LONGMONT, Colo. (AP) - Colorado officials say the emergency response to the flood disaster is ending and the long and arduous task of recovery has begun.
    
Sheriff Joe Pelle said Wednesday that rescue workers are ending "high octane" search-and-rescue operations. Searchers are now going door-to-door and looking through debris piles and vehicles for victims and damage in the flood-scarred areas of the foothills.
    
Those crews include Federal Emergency Management Agency urban search-and-rescue teams with search dogs and medical supplies.
    
Lt. Col. Mitch Utterback of the Colorado National Guard says some of the helicopters flying rescue missions may be returned to Fort Carson.
    
As the airlifts taper off, so have the number of missing. State emergency officials say that number was just over 300 by Wednesday morning.
    
There have been six confirmed deaths.

PREVIOUS STORY:

LYONS, Colo. (AP) - As water recedes and flows east onto the Colorado plains rescuers are shifting their focus from emergency airlifts to trying to find the hundreds of people still unaccounted for after last week's devastating flooding.
    
Federal and state emergency officials said more than 3,000 people have been evacuated by air and ground, but calls for those emergency rescues have decreased.
    
The state's latest count has dropped to about 580 people missing, and the number continues to decrease as the stranded get in touch with families.
    
State officials reported six flood-related deaths, plus two women missing and presumed dead. The number was expected to increase. It could take weeks or even months to search through flooded areas looking for bodies.
    
State and local transportation officials are tallying the washed-out roads, collapsed bridges and twisted railroad lines.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Boston Marathon Begins Under Tight Security

    Boston Marathon Begins Under Tight Security

    Monday, April 21 2014 10:28 AM EDT2014-04-21 14:28:56 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - The 118th running of the Boston Marathon has begun amid heavy security a year after the bombings near the race's finish line that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others. The race began at 8:50 a.m. Monday for mobility-impaired marathoners and at 9:32 a.m. for elite women.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - The 118th running of the Boston Marathon has begun amid heavy security a year after the bombings near the race's finish line that killed three people and wounded more than 260 others. The race began at 8:50 a.m. Monday for mobility-impaired marathoners and at 9:32 a.m. for elite women.
    More >>
  • 16-Year-Old Survives In Wheel Well Of Maui Flight

    16-Year-Old Survives In Wheel Well Of Maui Flight

    Monday, April 21 2014 9:54 AM EDT2014-04-21 13:54:02 GMT
    HONOLULU (AP) - FBI officials say a 16-year-old boy stowed away in the wheel well of a flight from California to Hawaii, surviving the trip halfway across the Pacific Ocean unharmed despite frigid temperatures at 38,000 feet and a lack of oxygen. FBI spokesman Tom Simon said the boy was questioned by the FBI after being discovered on the tarmac.More >>
    HONOLULU (AP) - FBI officials say a 16-year-old boy stowed away in the wheel well of a flight from California to Hawaii, surviving the trip halfway across the Pacific Ocean unharmed despite frigid temperatures at 38,000 feet and a lack of oxygen. FBI spokesman Tom Simon said the boy was questioned by the FBI after being discovered on the tarmac.
    More >>
  • General Mills Scraps Controversial New Legal Terms

    General Mills Scraps Controversial New Legal Terms

    Monday, April 21 2014 8:58 AM EDT2014-04-21 12:58:01 GMT
    NEW YORK (AP) - General Mills is scrapping a controversial plan to strip consumers of their right to sue the food company.The company, which owns Cheerios, Progresso and Yoplait, had posted a notice on its website notifying visitors that using the company's websites or engaging with it online in a variety of other ways meant they would have to give up their right to sue.More >>
    NEW YORK (AP) - General Mills is scrapping a controversial plan to strip consumers of their right to sue the food company.The company, which owns Cheerios, Progresso and Yoplait, had posted a notice on its website notifying visitors that using the company's websites or engaging with it online in a variety of other ways meant they would have to give up their right to sue.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.