RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

ADVERTISEMENT
Bookmark and Share

RIGHT NOW: Airlifts Yield To Door-To-Door Searches In Colorado

Posted: Updated:

LONGMONT, Colo. (AP) - Colorado officials say the emergency response to the flood disaster is ending and the long and arduous task of recovery has begun.
    
Sheriff Joe Pelle said Wednesday that rescue workers are ending "high octane" search-and-rescue operations. Searchers are now going door-to-door and looking through debris piles and vehicles for victims and damage in the flood-scarred areas of the foothills.
    
Those crews include Federal Emergency Management Agency urban search-and-rescue teams with search dogs and medical supplies.
    
Lt. Col. Mitch Utterback of the Colorado National Guard says some of the helicopters flying rescue missions may be returned to Fort Carson.
    
As the airlifts taper off, so have the number of missing. State emergency officials say that number was just over 300 by Wednesday morning.
    
There have been six confirmed deaths.

PREVIOUS STORY:

LYONS, Colo. (AP) - As water recedes and flows east onto the Colorado plains rescuers are shifting their focus from emergency airlifts to trying to find the hundreds of people still unaccounted for after last week's devastating flooding.
    
Federal and state emergency officials said more than 3,000 people have been evacuated by air and ground, but calls for those emergency rescues have decreased.
    
The state's latest count has dropped to about 580 people missing, and the number continues to decrease as the stranded get in touch with families.
    
State officials reported six flood-related deaths, plus two women missing and presumed dead. The number was expected to increase. It could take weeks or even months to search through flooded areas looking for bodies.
    
State and local transportation officials are tallying the washed-out roads, collapsed bridges and twisted railroad lines.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)

  • National NewsMore>>

  • Charge filed against dad in 1983 toddler killing

    Charge filed against dad in 1983 toddler killing

    Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:02 PM EDT2014-09-17 00:02:40 GMT
    TACOMA, Wash. - Prosecutors in Pierce County, Washington, have filed a manslaughter charge against a 57-year-old man for killing his 3-year-old son in 1983. More >>
    TACOMA, Wash. - Prosecutors in Pierce County, Washington, have filed a manslaughter charge against a 57-year-old man for killing his 3-year-old son in 1983. Prosecutors said Tuesday that a warrant has been issued for Stanley Guidroz to return to Washington to face the charge. Guidroz is currently serving time in a Louisiana prison for murdering his wife, who is not the boy's mom.More >>
  • UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    UPDATE: President condemns "barbaric murder" of David Haines

    Saturday, September 13 2014 8:50 PM EDT2014-09-14 00:50:23 GMT
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
    BEIRUT - President Obama responded to the alleged beheading of British Aid worker David Haines Saturday. The President said in a statement, "The United States strongly condemns the barbaric murder of UK citizen David Haines," according to NBC News. New video claims to show the beheading of Haines by Islamic State group ISIS. Haines went missing in Syria last year.More >>
  • Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Women's colleges consider transgender applicants

    Wednesday, September 10 2014 6:31 PM EDT2014-09-10 22:31:35 GMT
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
    BOSTON (AP) - Women's colleges are revisiting policies around enrolling transgender students. Mills College in Oakland, California, recently became the first women's college to issue a written policy saying it would accept undergraduate applications from "self-identified women" in the coming academic year.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.