Judge Rules Murder Suspect Avondre Graham Will Face A Jury - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

Judge Rules Murder Suspect Avondre Graham Will Face A Jury

Posted: Updated:

He's been in jail for just over a year charged in the May 2012 stabbing death of his neighbor, Sharlotte McGill, and now a judge has ruled Avondre Graham, 18, is competent to stand trial.

Judge Maryann Moreno made her ruling at the Spokane County Courthouse Tuesday, a day after two expert psychologists testified to Graham's "intellectual disabilities" during his competent hearing.

Both doctors agreed Graham has a low IQ and "mild mental retardation," but one found Graham competent to stand trial while the other did not.

In Washington the legal standard "competency to stand trial" is two-fold: the defendant is ruled competent if he or she understands the nature of the charges against him or her, and can aid in his or her own defense.

After reviewing psychological exams, tests, evaluations, the court file and prior case law, Judge Moreno ruled that Graham meets both of those criteria. She also cited several other Washington cases in which the defendant had an even lower IQ and was found competent.

Graham said nothing in court, but after he left the room his mother broke down in tears and hugged family members.

The judge's ruling is not what Graham's family had hoped for, but it is a huge victory for the family of Sharlotte McGill - especially her only daughter, Billie McKinney.

McKinney spoke to KHQ's Kelsey Watts, and gave this statement:

"I just want to see his day in court and see the system follow through. This case is very important and will show the community what will and won't be tolerated."

Graham's murder trial is scheduled to begin November 4th.

  • Top Stories from KHQTop StoriesMore>>

  • Progress being made on power outages

    Progress being made on power outages

    Saturday, July 26 2014 10:26 AM EDT2014-07-26 14:26:55 GMT
    As of Saturday morning, there are just less than 6,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 2,602 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>More >>
    As of Saturday morning, there are just less than 6,000 customers without power in the Inland Northwest. There are still more than 2,602 Avista customers without power but Avista says reinforcement crews continue to arrive to help relieve and assist other crews who have been working around the clock. >>>SEE LATEST OUTAGE UPDATES>>>More >>
  • Fatal collision on eastbound I-90

    Fatal collision on eastbound I-90

    Saturday, July 26 2014 10:14 AM EDT2014-07-26 14:14:27 GMT
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Troopers are investigating an auto-ped fatal crash on I-90 eastbound near mile post 280. A 59 year old man was crossing I-90 when he was hit by a pick up truck. He died on the scene. Police say the driver does not appear at fault and don't believe drugs or alcohol played a factor.More >>
    SPOKANE, Wash. - Troopers are investigating an auto-ped fatal crash on I-90 eastbound near mile post 280. A 59 year old man was crossing I-90 when he was hit by a pick up truck. He died on the scene. Police say the driver does not appear at fault and don't believe drugs or alcohol played a factor.The man who died has been identified as Dennis Stensgar.More >>
  • PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    PHOTOS JUST IN: Devastation from Carlton Complex; 300 homes burned

    Saturday, July 26 2014 12:07 AM EDT2014-07-26 04:07:59 GMT
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.More >>
    TWISP, Wash. (AP) - The Okanogan County Sheriff says the Carlton Complex wildfire has many more homes than previously thought. Sheriff Frank Rogers said Friday that the Carlton Complex fire has consumed about 300 homes this month. His office previously placed the number at 150, but he said then he knew it would rise.More >>
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KHQ. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.