UPDATE: Fire Destroys One Room In Spokane Apartment Fire - NBC Right Now/KNDO/KNDU Tri-Cities, Yakima, WA |

UPDATE: Fire Destroys One Room In Spokane Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:

SPOKANE, Wash. - Fire crews responded to a fire Friday morning just after 7AM at the O'Malley Apartments at 707 E. Mission. Five people were transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation but they are expected to be okay. Crews were able to contain the fire to one room but that room was completely destroyed.

The entire building was evacuated to check for carbon monoxide levels. Some of the elderly residents needed assistance during the evacuation because they are unable to walk on their own.

Firefighter resources were stretched pretty thin during this fire because of a technical rescue that was happening simultaneously from an industrial accident on East Trent, so fire crews responded from stations in Spokane Valley, Downtown Spokane and the North side.

PRESS RELEASE FROM THE SPOKANE FIRE DEPT:

Narrative:
On Friday October 4, 2013 at 07:14 AM, 5 Engine companies under the direction of AC Schaeffer responded to a reported commercial building fire at 707 East Mission Avenue, the O'Malley Apartments (the O'Mally apartments are located in the Gonzaga neighborhood and have 99 one-bedroom units that are handicapped accessible).
 
The incident was dispatched simultaneously as the early morning technical rescue in the Purina Plant (4714 East Trent) and a cardiac arrest, which exhausted the majority of the City's resources.

The first unit on-scene arrived within six-minutes and reported a four-story apartment building with smoke showing from the third story balcony on the Mission Avenue side. Immediately upon arriving, the Chief noted that occupants had escaped the heavy smoke and took refuge on the third-story balcony and were waiting to be rescued.    
 
The first engine arrived minutes later and made contact with the occupants waiting on the third floor balcony, made sure the door behind them was closed and reassured them they were safe. 

Immediately after making contact with the residents they entered the building, secured the stairwell and made their way to the third floor with tools and equipment to fight the fire. Additional arriving companies were assigned backup the first engine, supported the building's standpipe system and begin searching for victims.

The toxic smoke on the third floor was reported to be banked down to just a few feet from the floor and the decision was made to shelter most residents in place on the third floor and evacuate the ones on floors two and one (to avoiding removing at-risk residents into the smoke-filled hallways and stairwells).  

The incident was upgraded immediately to a working fire and modified to include an MCI (mass casualty incident) response. Mutual aid resources from Spokane Valley Fire Department, six ambulances from AMR with management, STA with a bus and Spokane Police Department with traffic officers were brought to the scene to assist with the numerous patients and the influx of traffic due to the beginning of the school day for nearby St. Aloysius Gonzaga School. 
 
It took 25 Firefighters and 12 AMR employees just over one-hour to completely extinguish and overhaul the fire, evacuate the residents to safe areas of refuge on the first floor and medically evaluate/treat seven residents and a facility employee with various levels of smoke inhalation.  No firefighters were injured in the process of mitigating the incident.

Cause:
The nature was determined to be accidental and cause was a laundry basket left on an electric stovetop that had been accidentally turned on. The fire spread vertically to cabinets and combustibles throughout the unit.

Damage:
Damage was limited to the unit of origin, however smoke damage throughout the third floor hallway.  he concrete construction and a maintenance worker's attempts to keep the fire contained aided in keeping the fire's damage limited to the unit.

# Firefighters Responding: 25

Dollar Loss: $ 5000

Other Agencies Responding: Fire District 1, Spokane Police Department,

HD DOPPLER 6i
/
  • Top Stories from KHQHomeMore>>

  • Spokane city councilwoman speaks out against sexual harassment

    Spokane city councilwoman speaks out against sexual harassment

    Monday, November 20 2017 9:23 PM EST2017-11-21 02:23:02 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane city councilwoman is sharing her story too as more allegations against different men continue to come out. Kate Burke was elected to city council for her first term. She shared her story about sexual harassment too. Since Burke shared her story, she says she’s received messages from other women, reaching out. “I want women to know that I'm an ally I'm here to chat. I'm here to listen,” she says. “There are allies in 

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A Spokane city councilwoman is sharing her story too as more allegations against different men continue to come out. Kate Burke was elected to city council for her first term. She shared her story about sexual harassment too. Since Burke shared her story, she says she’s received messages from other women, reaching out. “I want women to know that I'm an ally I'm here to chat. I'm here to listen,” she says. “There are allies in 

    More >>
  • Family concerned after finding bullet lodged in window frame

    Family concerned after finding bullet lodged in window frame

    Monday, November 20 2017 9:20 PM EST2017-11-21 02:20:52 GMT

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A north Spokane family feels like they have to move after finding a bullet lodged in their window frame over the weekend. Roger Sims says he is unsure when exactly it happened but they noticed it on Saturday when his wife opened the window and saw it was broken. That’s when they found a bullet lodged in the window. “We're always in there,” he says. “My niece and my nephew, they're five and three. They're always playing in the room....

    More >>

    SPOKANE, Wash. - A north Spokane family feels like they have to move after finding a bullet lodged in their window frame over the weekend. Roger Sims says he is unsure when exactly it happened but they noticed it on Saturday when his wife opened the window and saw it was broken. That’s when they found a bullet lodged in the window. “We're always in there,” he says. “My niece and my nephew, they're five and three. They're always playing in the room....

    More >>
  • Recovering addict finds passion, helps others

    Recovering addict finds passion, helps others

    Monday, November 20 2017 9:19 PM EST2017-11-21 02:19:48 GMT

    Sherry Hegstad loves to cut hair. She’s had her cosmetology license since 2014 and it makes her feel alive, gives her a sense of passion, a passion that she says wouldn’t be possible today. “I was addicted to meth for 22 years,” she said. Hegstad was headed for rock bottom, “I was at Walmart on the day before Black Friday shoplifting and I had meth on me." And in 2015, her life would change.

    More >>

    Sherry Hegstad loves to cut hair. She’s had her cosmetology license since 2014 and it makes her feel alive, gives her a sense of passion, a passion that she says wouldn’t be possible today. “I was addicted to meth for 22 years,” she said. Hegstad was headed for rock bottom, “I was at Walmart on the day before Black Friday shoplifting and I had meth on me." And in 2015, her life would change.

    More >>