UPDATE: Fire Destroys One Room In Spokane Apartment Fire
SPOKANE, Wash. - Fire crews responded to a fire Friday morning just after 7AM at the O'Malley Apartments at 707 E. Mission. Five people were transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation but they are expected to be okay. Crews were able to contain the fire to one room but that room was completely destroyed.
The entire building was evacuated to check for carbon monoxide levels. Some of the elderly residents needed assistance during the evacuation because they are unable to walk on their own.
Firefighter resources were stretched pretty thin during this fire because of a technical rescue that was happening simultaneously from an industrial accident on East Trent, so fire crews responded from stations in Spokane Valley, Downtown Spokane and the North side.
PRESS RELEASE FROM THE SPOKANE FIRE DEPT:
Narrative: On Friday
October 4, 2013 at 07:14 AM, 5 Engine companies under the direction of AC
Schaeffer responded to a reported commercial building fire at 707 East Mission
Avenue, the O'Malley Apartments (the O'Mally apartments are located in the
Gonzaga neighborhood and have 99 one-bedroom units that are handicapped
The incident was dispatched simultaneously as the early
morning technical rescue in the Purina Plant (4714 East Trent) and a cardiac
arrest, which exhausted the majority of the City's resources.
The first unit
on-scene arrived within six-minutes and reported a four-story apartment building
with smoke showing from the third story balcony on the Mission Avenue side.
Immediately upon arriving, the Chief noted that occupants had escaped the heavy
smoke and took refuge on the third-story balcony and were waiting to be
The first engine arrived minutes later and made contact
with the occupants waiting on the third floor balcony, made sure the door behind
them was closed and reassured them they were safe.
Immediately after making
contact with the residents they entered the building, secured the stairwell and
made their way to the third floor with tools and equipment to fight the fire. Additional arriving companies were assigned backup the first engine, supported
the building's standpipe system and begin searching for victims.
The toxic smoke
on the third floor was reported to be banked down to just a few feet from the
floor and the decision was made to shelter most residents in place on the third
floor and evacuate the ones on floors two and one (to avoiding removing at-risk
residents into the smoke-filled hallways and stairwells).
The incident was
upgraded immediately to a working fire and modified to include an MCI (mass
casualty incident) response. Mutual aid resources from Spokane Valley Fire
Department, six ambulances from AMR with management, STA with a bus and Spokane
Police Department with traffic officers were brought to the scene to assist with
the numerous patients and the influx of traffic due to the beginning of the
school day for nearby St. Aloysius Gonzaga School.
It took 25
Firefighters and 12 AMR employees just over one-hour to completely extinguish
and overhaul the fire, evacuate the residents to safe areas of refuge on the
first floor and medically evaluate/treat seven residents and a facility employee
with various levels of smoke inhalation. No firefighters were injured in the
process of mitigating the incident.
Cause: The nature was
determined to be accidental and cause was a laundry basket left on an electric
stovetop that had been accidentally turned on. The fire spread vertically to
cabinets and combustibles throughout the unit.
Damage: Damage was limited
to the unit of origin, however smoke damage throughout the third floor hallway. he concrete construction and a maintenance worker's attempts to keep the fire
contained aided in keeping the fire's damage limited to the unit.
Firefighters Responding: 25
Dollar Loss: $ 5000
Responding: Fire District 1, Spokane Police Department,
Wednesday, December 11 2013 9:37 AM EST2013-12-11 14:37:21 GMT
KHQ.COM - About 365,000 people have managed to get health insurance on the new state and federal websites so far, federal officials announced Wednesday.More >>
KHQ.COM - About 365,000 people have managed to get health insurance on the new state and federal websites so far, federal officials announced Wednesday. The numbers are just a trickle compared to what officials had forecast and hoped for, but show that the balky federal website is better than it was at rollout on Oct. 1.More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 9:36 AM EST2013-12-11 14:36:12 GMT
SPOKANE, Wash. - For anyone whose parents have moved into their home or for those looking to possibly rent out part of their home, houses with in-law type set ups are ideal. More >>
SPOKANE, Wash. - For anyone whose parents have moved into their home or for those looking to possibly rent out part of their home, houses with in-law type set ups are ideal. It's a great way to give yourself and the person living in your home separate space and it helps to keep the sanity. More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 9:07 AM EST2013-12-11 14:07:31 GMT
Wednesday: Increased moisture is starting to make it's way into the region, that means today look for mostly cloudy skies.More >>
Wednesday: Increased moisture is starting to make it's way into the region, that means today look for mostly cloudy skies. A chance for some light snow in communities near the Canadian border (Northport, Bonners Ferry) this afternoon...but other than that, the rest of the region looks to stay dry. High: 30°More >>
Wednesday, December 11 2013 1:05 AM EST2013-12-11 06:05:12 GMT
MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) - Friends of a Montana woman on trial for the death of her new husband say she showed little emotion when she located his body in Glacier National Park.More >>
MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) - Friends of a Montana woman on trial for the death of her new husband say she showed little emotion when she located his body in Glacier National Park days after his July 7 disappearance.More >>
Tuesday, December 10 2013 10:30 PM EST2013-12-11 03:30:19 GMT
A man who has already endured more than most is facing a new challenge.More >>
A man who has already endured more than most is facing a new challenge. Over the weekend, James VanCuren's snow tires were stolen from outside his garage before being installed on his truck. "I'm not taking the pass this time of year with bald tires," said VanCuren.More >>
You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch. That's how several people who live in Otis Orchards feel after vandals damaged or destroyed thousands of dollars of Christmas decorations. "When I came out with my daughter I saw the [inflatables] laying down and I came out and checked 'em," Ron Cafaro told KHQ's Kelsey Watts.More >>
Tuesday, December 10 2013 9:39 PM EST2013-12-11 02:39:26 GMT
Monday night, the Spokane city council voted 6-0 to bring back the boot for habitual parking offenders. More >>
Monday night, the Spokane city council voted 6-0 to bring back the boot for habitual parking offenders. The city has not used the boot since the 1980's. The city says in the past ten years there have been more than 4 million dollars in unpaid parking tickets equaling around 90,000 unpaid tickets. The city says it aims to crack down on habitual offenders in the future.More >>
Tuesday, December 10 2013 9:29 PM EST2013-12-11 02:29:21 GMT
KENNEWICK, Wash. (AP) - Police in Kennewick, Wash., say a missing 14-year-old girl has talked with her mother and says she is in Mexico and is OK.More >>
KENNEWICK, Wash. (AP) - Police in Kennewick, Wash., say a missing 14-year-old girl has talked with her mother and says she is in Mexico and is OK. KNDO says police confirmed Tuesday that the mother of Elizabeth Romero spoke with her daughter by phone and the girl said she is in Jalisco, Mexico.More >>
Monday, December 9 2013 10:50 PM EST2013-12-10 03:50:54 GMT
Winter on Lake Coeur d'Alene means many things. People come from all over to see the lights illuminate the lake near the resort. More >>
Winter on Lake Coeur d'Alene means many things. People come from all over to see the lights illuminate the lake near the resort. But they also come for nature. And in the winter, that means Bald Eagles taking advantage of all of the fish. KHQ Local News Reporter Gabe Cohen tagged along with some eagle enthusiasts Monday morning.More >>